cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hansmuff
Adept I

AGESA past 1.0.0.3ABBA causes problems with Creative Labs sound cards

I have done some analysis on problems a lot of Creative Labs sound card users have with X570 machines.

The impact is sound distortions, swapping of sound channels and changes in volume levels, making the sound equipment unusable. This concerns all Creative Labs users that have Z-Series or newer sound cards, up to the newest ones, so a lot of products.

There are things I have tested, or can conclude from user feedback, to not work:

- Any registry workarounds Creative Labs has given out through their support

- Newer BIOSes

- Various PCI-E BIOS settings like "10-Bit Tag Support" Enable/Disable

- Changing memory speeds

- Disabling PBO

- 100% clean driver installs of all current and prior Creative Labs drivers

There is one single thing that I have concluded to work 100%:

- Change to a BIOS that has AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA or earlier. I have also tested 1.0.0.2 and it works.

With those older AGESA, the sound card works flawlessly. Users on different motherboards have reported issues since they upgraded BIOS' meaning they had an older AGESA and were find, and now have a newer one and there are all these problems.

The analysis was done by swapping BIOSes of various versions, testing settings with each of them. I also have used some tools to change PCI-Express configuration on a BIOS that didn't expose all the options. I have a full log of that available, but it's on a different forum and I don't know if links are allowed here. I can provide that on request.

My request then is for AMD to analyze the issue, or to employ my help (and that of other volunteers potentially) to test BETA versions of AGESA in some way; it would mean working with motherboard vendors to get those into a BIOS, I suppose, or perhaps there's some other way to patch them in?

My configuration is a Gigabyte AORUS Master X570 motherboard. Other users with the same problem are on MSI and ASUS motherboards.

There is a real problem for MSI and ASUS users, which is, their motherboards do not allow flashing older versions of BIOS than is currently installed. So, once they update their BIOS to AGESA 1.0.0.4 or higher, they can't go back to a BIOS that contains AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA. They are stuck with non-working sound equipment.

So, that's my plight. If there is anything I can do, or test, or BETA test, anything at all, please let me know.

15 Replies

Solely my opinion, But I don't believe AMD is going to change a BIOS just for one manufacturer's sound card to function. Especially if by altering the BIOS to make Creative Labs sound cards to work might involve disabling an instruction to make a processor stable or to fix an issue it had before.

I seems to me like Creative Labs are the ones that needs to come up with a driver that will work with the latest AGESA versions.

I am sure, if what you say is true, that Creative labs is probably aware of the problem is probably working on a fix if not then you need to make Creative Labs aware of the problem.

But you can always open an Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and let them know so that they become aware of the issue from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Thank you for that link, it looked to me like they had switched over to exclusively forum help. That is useful. I'll fill out the form.

I have actually created a ticket with Creative Labs, and they're aware of my testing. They have responded quite nicely and are evaluating my submissions, including logs, to them.

I also opened a ticket with Gigabyte, because I want them to be aware of it as well. They haven't responded to me yet.

And you're probably correct, AMD won't just own the issue because it's not strictly theirs. Other sound cards, including Realtek onboard, works fine. So there are ways to have working sound card drivers on newer AGESA, so that is a strong argument. But my hope is that all parties involved see the scope of the issue (not small) and sort of work together to fix it. I may well be hoping for too much, but it doesn't hurt to try with a good effort.

Thanks again for your post, quite helpful!

Well, it seems like Creative Labs wasn't aware of this issue. So you probably did them a great favor by alerting them to it.  If Creative Labs are able to verify your analysis they in turn could put pressure on the Motherboard's Manufacturer to find a fix which will put pressure indirectly to AMD or Creative labs may find out the reason why the newer AGESA are making their Sound cards disabled and create a new driver or Hot patch.

Good luck!

eluandil
Journeyman III

Same issue here

My specs :

- MSI x570 Gaming Edge ( driver 2.04.04.111 - Bios 7C37v17 )
- Corsair 750 RMx
- Ryzen 3600
- Sound BlasterX AE-5 ( driver 6.0.105.52 - SB Command 3.4.72.01)
- Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT ( driver 20.4.1 )
- 32Go DDR4 3000mhz CL15
- Windows 10 Pro 1909
- Sennheiser HD 700

Everything was fine before bios 7C37v15 (2019-10-30):

- Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54)
- Improved system boot up time
- Improved NVMe device compatibility
- Supports AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G CPU

Many users reported this issue on SoundBlaster Z and AE Series (includes the new AE-7/AE-9).

I use 1.0.0.4B which is the latest AGESA. Anything that does not work, I post it on my site and bash them for bad designs. I have been sharply critical over a lot of problems over the last 12 months or so.

0 Likes

I totally understand where you are coming from, I'm trying a more collaborative approach. Whether it will work, we'll see. Good luck with your issues!

0 Likes

hansmuff wrote:

I totally understand where you are coming from, I'm trying a more collaborative approach. Whether it will work, we'll see. Good luck with your issues!

It has come to my attention that AGESA 1.0.0.5 has been released but that is to support the new R3 processors.

AMD ADDS R3 3100 & 3300X – HARDCORE GAMES™ 

I saw AMD post it and put it up on my site. The R3 processors now round out the Ryzen 3000 series nicely.

Further down the road is that AGESA 1.0.0.6 is under development for the Ryzen 4000 processors.

What I do not know is what MSI will do for my X570 motherboard. I have an R5 3600 which is fairly respectable vs Intel.

What I do not know is how much attention to improving memory management will come to the table.

0 Likes
sensei5454
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. Rog Strix X570-F GAMING 3700X Sound Blaster XAE5 slips sound during the game.

0 Likes
felisnobilis
Journeyman III

This is perhaps a bit late in the day for this thread, but I had identical issues with my new PC build earlier this year using a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master (BIOS version F11), a Radeon 5700 XT and Sound Blaster AE-7. I had swapping of channels, distortion/noise, and it was completely unusable. I resolved the problem by switching the PCI Express version in the BIOS from gen 4 (it was actually on auto) to gen 3. I've had no problems since. At the time there was no information whatsoever on the problem. I was looking into it again now to see if there was a better fix yet. There are 2 newer BIOS versions, with the latest being "Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.0.0.2 for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen XT series processors and New Gen AMD Ryzen with Radeon Graphics processors support." Not going to risk it in case it brings me new problems though!

0 Likes
oxenkopf
Journeyman III

Hello, I have the same problem with a Gigabyte x570 gaming x board. 
But only since Bios F20a / F20b and with the current F20.
It includes AGESA ComboV2 1.0.0.2
I have now flashed back to F12h. And here the card works without problems.I do not know which 
AGESA version contains Bios F12h, this version has also disappeared from the Gigabyte
homepage for download.

EDIT:
Now I have tested it again with F20 and PCIe GEN 3 setting. The same problem
with channel swapping.
Then I started Windows Sound Troubleshooter. This informed me that the sound format
is not on standard and has fixed it.
However, this only works until the PC is restarted. Then I have this channel swap again.
Running Windows Sound Troubleshooter again will fix this problem again ... etc.

0 Likes

The recent comments about AGESA 1.0.0.2 are bug fixes, the current component is 10.0.0.6

AGESA is modular in design

0 Likes

Use the latest BIOS as it usually has the most bug fixes

0 Likes

I have problems with the latest bios. 
F20 is the newest, and I am now using F12h because it will make the SBz work.
0 Likes
Bigdyl69
Journeyman III

Hi all, just came here to add that I am experiencing the same problems. Currently using a Ryzen 5800X on a Asus X570-F Gaming motherboard (using latest Version 3801 BIOS with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2), 32gb of Corsair 3600mhz ram and the latest Windows 10 build with no overclock of any kind

Tried on both a Sound Blaster Z and a new Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus card. Disabled all power saving options and still getting the speakers switching randomly. Mainly when I am playing Cyberpunk 2077 at the moment and it's incredibly frustrating to have to keep switching out the game to dabble with the sound output.

Not sure if the above info helps at all but I am a very frustrated user who made the switch from an Intel Core I7 that NEVER had any of these issues with the sound cards so drivers cannot be blamed in that sense.

Please AMD, get this sorted before I sell my kit on and go back to the dark side

0 Likes

Also having the same problem on a Giabyte X570 Aorus Master (rev 1.2 witb BIOS F33 and F33J although the J BIOS seems to do channel swapping less ) with a Ryzen 9 5900X

0 Likes