Lookdev mode crashed when using ProRender on MacOS

Discussion created by Guest on Apr 21, 2020
Latest reply on May 4, 2020 by arozghon

I have a problem while using Lookdev mode with AMD ProRender plug-in version 2.3.4 on Blender 2.82a on MacOS Catalina version 10.15.4. I am using a Razer Core X eGPU enclosure with AMD Radeon RX580 8GB.

Here is the problem: When I try to switch to Lookdev mode Blender will crash once my project is large enough (e.g. a project with 23, 302 vertices, 22, 875 faces, 45, 482 tris, 81 objects, 37.6MB). But when my project is just a default cube I can go to Lookdev mode with no problem.

Initially, I thought that it was a bug with modifiers since some Mac users reported that a wake from sleep will cause some meshes with modifiers to corrupt. But this is not the case since the project mentioned above has no modifiers.

And also when I tried to unplug my eGPU and use my integrated GPU I can use Lookdev mode without any problem though the speed was very slow.

So I have the impression that the problem was caused by the eGPU. But if it is really the case why the problem only happened when my project is large enough to a certain point? It is not like that my graphics card is not up to spec.

Does anyone here have the same or similar issue?

Thank you.

Outcomes