ungmon

AMD Ryzen 5 3500u Throttling Issues

Discussion created by ungmon on Apr 17, 2020
Latest reply on May 25, 2020 by nined

First post and kind of new to the whole scene so excuse my ignorance but, I recently bought a Thinkpad E495 which comes with the AMD Ryzen 5 3500u and integrated Vega 8 graphics.

I've noticed that at random points throughout the day the perfomance will quite drastically drop suddenly. This isn't so noticeable when just browsing or doing general tasks but it is extremely noticeable when gaming where games like CSGO and League will drop from ~120fps to ~25fps.

Thermals aren't abnormally high either, HWMonitor is reporting about 65 C when these performance hits take place. I'm running 16gb dual channel ram with hte latest AMD drivers suggested by the Radeon software.

I've noticed using CPU-Z that when everything is funcitoning normally and I "Stress CPU", the core speed can reach ~3200MHz, however once the perfomance drop happens the core speed caps out at ~2000MHz.

I've figured out that just restarting the laptop fixes this and everything works as normal, until the issue invevitably returns again.

I've tried turning off "Fast Start-Up" as this seemed to fix a similar issue for some people online, but it did not solve the issue for me.

TLDR: Getting random perfomance drops, restarting solves the issue temporarily until it returns again.

So yeah, pretty confused and would appreicate any help you guys could offer. Cheers

Outcomes