cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ronburgundy
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3900X random reboots in Win10

I purchased a new Ryzen 9 3900X, along with the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max Mainboard, running Win10.

I installed Win10 on a M2 SSD. It worked well for a month, Shortly after installing a new USB Audio Interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen), which installed its ASIO Audio Drivers, too, my PC began to randomly reboot. I couldnt reproduce the reboots, it happened after a couple of minutes with no special action. So I uninstalled the USB Audio Interface and its drivers, still random reboots. I reinstalled the official driver for my mainboard, still random reboots. I completely wiped the M2 SSD and tried to install Win10 again, random reboots during the installation process. I resetted CMOS, random reboots, I flashed a new BIOS, still random reboots. I changed EVERYTHING (PSU, SSDs, RAM etc.), with all hardware still getting the random reboots. To this point I only haven't changed the mainboard and the CPU. 

I was only able to install Win10 after replacing my Ryzen 3900X for a 2nd Gen Ryzen 2700X, then installing AMD Chipset Driver "amd_software_2.04.04.111" (with the 2700X there were no random reboots at all). After changing the older Ryzen for my newer Ryzen 3900X, the random reboots stopped, and its now working like the day I received my hardware. 

I still don't quite understand how the random reboots were caused (they didnt show up immediately after installing the Audio Interface, but that was the last major thing I did to the machine), and how a completely wiped SSD with new BIOS and all steps mentioned above still were getting the reboots. Can anybody explain what went wrong and how the problem still occured with all resetted harware? The reboots only happened in Windows environment, being longer in the UEFI settings never had those reboots.

0 Likes
1 Reply
sbbkbb
Adept I

It probably get dedicated new IRQ when you replaced CPUs and installed new drivers. USB is picky on this platform or you just inserted it in the USB that is directly connected to the CPU or vice-versa

0 Likes