Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jarixx
Adept I

AMD ryzen 3900 running too hot and shuts down

Hello,

I encounter a very strange behaviour. Sometimes, well most often when I coldboot my computer it starts up as normal, I get into windows and everything is fine. CPU temp is like 25. Then after everything is loaded the CPU just start to get real hot and goes from 25 to 90 in like 20 seconds and the computer shuts down. I have watched if there is a program that use the cpu in task manager but nothing and the frequency and voltage are the same in Asus dual intelligent, I dont see it change. After restart everything is fine. Anyone has any clue to what is going on? 

I have set my CPU to stay at 3800 and slightly underclocked. It runs cinebench fine and stays at around 75-80 degrees at full load and around 55 degrees in windows. Should I suspect the AIO ?

My Computer;
AMD Ryzen 3900
ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
Gigabyte RX 5700XT Gaming OC
Gskill 3600 16x2
Corsair SF750
Corsair MP 600 M2 SSD
ASUS Rog RYUO 120 AIO

0 Likes
3 Replies
firetemper
Journeyman III

I'd go ahead and take off your AIO and see. I'd throw the stock cooler on there and see if you can get it to run okay. I just upgraded to a 3900x in my system and the card definitely runs warmer than others. 53c is about where mine idles with a Corsair h100i v2.

0 Likes

To add,

I believe the problem is that your AIO is not powerful enough for that Processor. AMD recommends AIO with Radiators of 280mm or 360MM for the 3950X which has 4 cores more than the 3900. But I believe this can also apply to your 3900 processor.

Generally you have a 150MM Radiator which is one of the smallest AIO Radiator.

AMD recommends if you are using a ASUS AIO a 360mm Radiator for a 3950X processor: https://www.amd.com/en/processors/3950x-thermal-solutions 

NOTE: The 3950X is a 16 core processor while the 3900X is a 12 core processor. But both have 105 Watts TDP.  So maybe with the 3900X processor you can use a 280mm Radiator might be what you need to keep it from overheating.

0 Likes
jarixx
Adept I

Thanks for the replies. However the stable temp was not the issue, it was that it suddenly rushed for no reason. My AIO works and keeps the temps down without problem, I cannot however OC too much so for now the CPU is fixed at 3800 mhz and seldom goes above 60 degrees. 

Problem seems solved for now. A new update for the MB bios apparently fixed it (or was it the bios reset when flashing?).