Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

technot
Journeyman III

Xen(xcp-ng) windows 10 guest trouble

I have home server using xcp-ng.

I have 2x amd R9 280X and one amd RX550.

I can passthrough any of the gpus to any linux guest with no problems. Any driver in the linux guest works fine.

However, with windows 10, i have tried all available drivers, and the only one i am able to install is:

Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.4.1-Apr26

Anything newer results in the install crashing during the end, and rendering the guest unable to even boot.

I need to shutdown the guest, remove the passthrough gpu, start the guest and use DDU to remove the driver,

before shutting down, readding the passthrough gpu, boot and install the driver mentioned above.

This behaviour is the same for both the R9 280X and the RX550.

It is however the 550X i would prefer to use.

I can live with the driver mentioned above, as it works fine. But windows10 keeps trying to install new driver on its own every once in a while, and the only way to stop it is to use wushowhide from windows support.

Only problem is that i have to hide that new update everytime windows pushes a new amd driver through windows updates. And that means that im going through that whole process mentioned above every time it happens.

I am a bit fed up with that, so I am hoping someone can shed som light. Is there a way to install and run the newer drivers inside a xen based vm guest using passthrough of consumer grade amd gpu like RX550

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Reply

In Windows 10 Pro and above Windows versions you can use Group Policy to disable Windows Updating Drivers only.

I had to do this with my Windows 10 Pro for the same reason you are having. Nothing else worked.

Windows 10 Home doesn't have this option so you need to use a different method.

This Windows Tech site shows you two methods to disable Windows Updating Drivers: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.... 

0 Likes