cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

hasat
Journeyman III

AMD CHIPSET 785GX info for CPU upgrade

I have a laptop sony VAIO vpcee25fx that has a chipset AMD 785GX and SB850 southbridge, there is no info about this chipset on internet.I need to know does this chipset support CPU upgrade to Phenom II p960? the original cpu is athlon II p320. RAM 1066 PC3-8500S

0 Likes
4 Replies

As far as laptops go, you will need to talk to the manufacturer as to which processor upgrades are possible for your model. However, considering the Phenom II P960 is incredibly slow compared to modern entry level processor, the 3200U, which can be found in laptops sub $300, you would be better off upgrading to a new machine.

0 Likes

Thank you 

but I already asked Sony they referred me to AMD:

"Not sure about the processor but for cooling reasons, I would stick to a 25watt one. I wonder if the 4 core P940 or P960 will be compatible. You will probably need to contact AMD."

CPU upgrade for laptop vpcee25fx? - Sony 

the only thing is the price now are so cheap in Ebay so looks its worth such upgrade if it works.

0 Likes

Laptop manufacturers customize their machines to such an extent that it may quite likely only support the processors to which that model could ship with, so it's not like a desktop motherboard which will, usually, support all the processors made for that socket. Only Sony or someone who has deconstructed the BIOS can tell you which processors that model supports.

0 Likes
andyp6
Journeyman III

my acer aspire 5551 has also the 785gx socket and i upgraded it from the athlon ii p320 to the phenom ii n970 successfully, the only problem was the heat but still it doesn't get close to the critical level which i was fine with it,, but a cooling pad underneath will be necessary especially in the summer.  cpu costed me around 25 euros from ebay and the increase in performance was almost double, 

0 Likes