cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kriswoj
Newcomer

RX 5700 XT: during driver install - black screen, no signal. Can't then boot.

System:

New build PC, brand new fresh Windows 10 install

Ryzen 3600

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max - latest BIOS

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT

Corsair ValueSelect DDR4 2400 2x 8GB

Riotoro Enigma G2 850W PSU

Integral 240GB M.2 SSD

1440p monitor with DVI and HDMI ports only, so is connected to the GPU via HDMI

Basically, I can't install ANY radeon drivers for the GPU.

During the installation process of any compatible driver, the screen goes black, I get a no signal or similar indication on the screen and then nothing. Restarting loads the Windows splash screen, but then immediately after it goes black again with the no signal indication from the monitor. 

I have to boot into safe mode and run DDU to get the comp booting with the display working. The display is then using the default Microsoft Basic display adapter. 

I've tried running DDU with no internet, installing radeon with no internet connection, but same thing. 

I had updated Windows with all the latest updates, and installed all the motherboard drivers. 

I've read loads of different threads about possible causes/fixes, but not managed to get anything working. 

Is there a definitive list of AMD recommended fixes for this? Seems like it is a well known issue.

On a possible cause note, I used to have HDMI no signal connection issues with an old Samsung TV and any attached devices (e.g. blu ray player) if there was a unexpected interruption in power. Even if they were still physically connected, the TV would not see the device. Something to do with the EDID handshake or something like that. Not sure if this is similar.  I have read of people using dp/dvi adaptors and it then working which suggests it is maybe a hdmi-hdmi issue, as I've just realised that my comp is still running in the background, by managing to restart it by successfully guessing where my mouse was and clicking start/power/restart with the black screen. So maybe it is just something that needs to successfully re-instate the hdmi handshake?

I would have just got myself an adaptor for this, but as I want to run at 1440p, active adaptors are very expensive. 

Please help! I've currently got a waste of money 5700 XT, that I either want running properly soon, or a clear indication that I won't get it running properly so I can return it before my return window closes. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes
12 Replies
vaciak
Journeyman III

I have exactly the same problem.
My configuration:
Windows 10 1909 (on build 1809 the same problem)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI X570 Gaming Plus - latest BIOS
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT Gaming 6G OC
Patrion Viper 4 2x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL 16 1.35V
PS Chieftec GPS-600A8
Disk Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 500GB
I mean around March 23 something broke.

1. The computer only started in safe mode.
2. I delete radeon drivers.
3. Then windows started correctly.
4. I installed the drivers and worked normally.
5. Restart or shut down the computer.
6. go to 1
Then drivers 20.4.1 were released
1. The computer only started in safe mode.
2. I delete radeon drivers.
3. Then windows started correctly.
4. I installed the drivers (different versions) and black screen
5. restart or shut down the computer.
6. go to 1
I check all drivers on fresh system build 1909
20.1.3-jan29
20.1.4-jan27
20.2.1-feb3
20.2.2-feb28
20.2.2-mar5
20.3.1-mar19
20.4.1-apr2
There is always a black screen during installation.
I install Aorus v1.8.2
It looks like the application is not working properly but it shows what the attachment is.
radeon 5600.jpg
I never overclocked this card.
This is my story with the Radeon card.
0 Likes

Ok, playing around I've had some progress.

Ran ddu in safe mode and shut down the comp.

I then connected to a different monitor. My main monitor is a Hanns.g hq271 2k monitor. The one I connected to now is a borrowed thinkvision fhd monitor. 

Installed latest driver on it, and it worked. No black screen, and no signal loss. NOTHING ELSE WAS CHANGED. Therefore it really seems to be a GPU communication with the monitor issue. 

I can't figure out how to fix it with my main monitor (hanns.g 2k one) though. There is a signal between the GPU and monitor in the early stages of the boot sequence, but it is about where windows takes over that it loses the signal and goes black.

I've tried unplugging monitor from mains and holding power button for a minute to force a reset (think that's how you do it) of it, but that didnt work. 

So anyone with any ideas, it would be appreciated! 

0 Likes
chad27
Adept III

Seems black screens are an issue. Im hoping its resolved soon

0 Likes
dakhath
Journeyman III

I had this problem and nothing at all on the forums helped. I swapped out my HDMI cable for a new one and that seems to have solved the problem. I hope this helps someone out there. 

0 Likes
kriswoj
Newcomer

dakhath - that's more or less what I did to fix it! I forgot to come back here with my fix, but what happened was:

After finding that it worked with a different monitor, I then tried a different cable. Again it worked with the other monitor but not with mine. However instead of giving a no signal indication on screen, it gave an unplugged cable indication. I didn't know if this was a step forward or backwards, but it was something different, so figured that was good!

Anyway, I tried a few more hard and soft resets of my monitor, unplugging and replugging everything in in specific orders, switching everything on in specific orders, but still the same - a no cable plugged in indication from my monitor after the motherboard splash logo in the boot sequence.

Swapped back to my original cable, only because it is shorter and more a suitable length than the other cable. Switched everything on and *BOOM* - it all worked!

So I've got no idea where in all that I managed to do the thing that made the two hdmi's communicate properly with each other, but I did!! Which I am more than bllomin' relieved about!!!

0 Likes
trif
Adept I

This is very interesting, I'm going to pick up some different cables tomorrow and experiment with this, I too have a pair of old HANNS.G HH281 monitors I now use as secondaries either side of my new LG 27GL83a - I've not tried with just that connected via DP, I'll unplug everything and try the driver update again tomorrow,

I think it's interesting as both my HH281's have had issues in the past with this card, they don't detect correctly either directly over a cheap HDMI cable, or through a DP-HDMI i use for the second, I've had to hack them with the Custom Resolution Utility, sometimes they turn on with a full on snowstorm of failure or just go black and have to be unplugged and replugged to start working so it definitely seems like they cause issues, maybe the newer firmware is more sensitive to these issues? it seems to prevent the boot fairly thoroughly as I can't RDP into my PC once it has these issues starting up

0 Likes

Forgot to say, I also cleared all registry entries for the graphics card's display connections, as I found how to and where to do somewhere describing hdmi edid connection issues. 

That may have been the thing that did it too...

0 Likes

Do you remember roughly how you did that?

0 Likes

I *think* it was this registry entry, and I say *think* as I can't remember exactly and can't find the page that I used as a guide...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/GraphicsDrivers/Connectivity

If I recall correctly, I just deleted all the entries in there. 

I think that was the reg entry, I know whatever one it was, one of the final 'folders' was something with "Graphics" in it, which fits with this one, but I'm not certain that's the only one.

0 Likes

Using DDU in safe mode should remove all instances of AMD drivers:

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers 

https://community.amd.com/thread/250936 

0 Likes

Tried using it many, many times. But it wasn't a driver issue in the end. Was a connection between the graphics card and the monitor issue which was fixed via one of the way described above. 

0 Likes

I solved my problem, thought i'd come here to post with the latest 20.4.2 version I still had the issue, left just my new Display Port monitor plugged into port "4" the far end from the motherboard side, worked a treat, then plugged my old hdmi monitors back in, one with a DP to hdmi adaptor, graphics totally froze upon connecting the monitor end of the DP adaptor cable when it was in Port "1" at the motherboard end, the direct HDMI cable caused no issues, though the monitor only detected as 640x480 but a custom resolution sorted that,

the final fix was to put the Display Port Monitor in port "1" and the adaptor in port "4" for whatever reason that first port just bricked the card and caused an immediate reboot if it had the adaptor and old monitor connected!