cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jadedprogress
Journeyman III

RX 580 black screen when games launch

I've just bought a used 580 8gb to replace my old GTX680 hoping I could get back to some gaming while in lockdown (not played anything in years really), however any time I start a game the screen goes black. System specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

i5 3570k oc to 4.2ghz

16gb RAM (8 Corsair Vengeance Pro, 8 Patriot G2, running at 1333 as 1600 wouldn't work)

Corsair 600w PSU (not sure of the exact model just now)

I couldn't even get the system to boot at first but fixed that with a BIOS update. Now when I try to play CoD Warzone the initial menu comes up ok, and I can go into the options screens to change settings, but when I click onto Warzone the screen goes black. Tried running The Talos Principle through Steam and it's a similar thing, the initial loading screens show up but when the main menu appears the picture disappears. The game is still running as I can hear the music and the noise from tabbing between the different options, I just can't see anything. Also tried Unigine Superposition, which gets the full way through and produces results, there's just no picture while it's running.

I've tried 20.4.1, 20.2.2 and 19.10.2 (recommended for MW) drivers, but have the same issue with all of them. All Nvidia drivers were removed with DDU in safe mode.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Just keep trying different drivers?! Everything was working fine with the 680 so I'm really hoping I haven't just bought a duff card...

0 Likes
6 Replies
warsun
Challenger

Set your driver to default

Uninstall your driver an install this one. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-9-1 

0 Likes

Yeah that's the drivers on the install disc that came with the card - I've since tried these and have the same issue unfortunately. 

0 Likes

I know. I have a RX 580 for my energy efficiency build an i am using the same driver 17.9.1 on it as well an i just put the disk away. Because it caused black screens. When you see the black screen then stutters, then freezes, then complete screen lockouts. which are hard crashes. You just say OK we don't need that driver. An just go back to the old driver. Its been smooth since then. My card is a MSI ARMOR RX 580 OC.still running 17.9.1.

0 Likes

17.9.1 doesn't work for me and is actually the least stable of the ones I've tried. 

0 Likes

You're using a 580. Which it is completely compatible with. So... yeah if you are running into stability problems. 2 things. 1. You have a nVidia program in your system interfering with the AMD driver. Which has happened before on my system. or 2. You need a reset on your Graphics card. Or possibility 3. You may need to uninstall the AMD driver completely an install a new driver if you installed it on a NVMe drive. Because they can become corrupted.

0 Likes

I've removed all nvidia programs and tried the second BIOS on the card, which has slightly lower core clock and slightly higher memory clock. It was a little better with that but still not fully functional. 

The seller has offered a replacement so I think I'm going to take that. Thanks for the help! 

0 Likes