cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Legal TV Apps hang after switching from Nvidia card to AMD card

I have been using Nvidia card before.  Recently I switch to RX5600 XT. Since then, my legacy TV app "Magic TV" will consistently hang after about 20-30 min.  I ran the apps in Windows 7 Comparability mode. 

Any suggestions how I can trouble shoot or improve the stability?

0 Likes
3 Replies

First it will be helpful to know your full Computer specs.

Did you completely uninstall the previous Nvidia driver and related software using DDU? They may be causing some conflict with AMD driver.

First try installing the AMD Driver and also removing Nvidia previous drivers using this basic method:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

What are the exact errors you are getting when the app crashes?

Check Device Manager and Windows Event Viewer -Errors for any errors that might indicate what is crashing that app.

Also check DXDIAG.TXT or upload and attach it to your post. That is useful in finding out exactly which files are having problems on your computer including Windows files.

Then try installing the latest AMD Driver for the RX 5600 from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5600-series/amd-radeon-rx-5600-series/amd-radeon-... 

If you still are having problems to eliminate the latest AMD Driver as the cause, try installing a previous AMD Driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-5600-series/amd-radeon-rx-5600-s... 

My driver should be good as I did completely remove Nvidia driver and installed the latest 20.4.1 driver.  I have 4 monitors connected to my machine.  3 of them 4K with 1 monitor in portrait mode. I wonder it has anything to do with this config.  I found some times the legacy app does not know how to handle 4k resolution and only display in certain part of the screen.    

0 Likes

I found something strange.... when my TV screen freeze, if I start Systeminternal tool,procexp.exe, the screen will resume....

0 Likes