Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dakoyta
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2400G constant crashes

Hello,

Please bare with me as this is my first built PC, and I am quite a noob with some of the terminology.

I built this PC about two years agoish, and have always had crashing problems. My first year I never really used it, and the crashing is starting to get worse as I have actually started playing games.

Anyways,

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU: Sapphire RX 560

MB: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H
RAM: 4 x 8 GB DDR4 - 2400
Memory: 250 SSD & 2 TB SSHD
Fans: 2 front, 1 rear (+1 if you count the cpu)
PSU: 500 Watt 80+ EVGA

OC: No

Ram timing: Yes

--

System typically crashes:

70% Under load
20% While exiting an application that had a heavy load

10% Not under load

--

System still crashes without the graphics card in it.

System still crashes with only 1 dim stick of ram at a time.

System does not provide any sort of crash logs, or events

System does not reboot after crash (must be hard reset)

System on latest bios: Yes

Drivers up to date: Yes

When the system crashes, the screen may change to a bright green, blue, or black.

Audio tends to still play for a couple seconds after the crash, then stutters, then silence.

Fans continue to spin after crash.

Have to hard reset to load system back up.

Temps with heat gun immediately after crash:

GPU 103 (39 C)
CPU 106 (41 C)
RAM 108 (42 C)

System seems to preform better when the CPU voltage is left at default settings with AMD Ryzen Master (1.45V)

System is unstable at 1.3525 V

Lastly, I tried to reinstall windows hoping to fix the issue.

No luck, 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you a million

0 Likes
15 Replies

I would reset your BIOS to factory defaults in case you have a setting causing your issue by doing a CMOS CLEAR on your motherboard or through BIOS itself. Then see if the crashes are less or not.

In Ryzen Master, reset everything back to default before doing a CMOS CLEAR. This is eliminate any settings you have in Ryzen Master that could be causing the crashes.

Also I have attached your Motherboard's QVL List for RAM MEMORY. Check to see if your RAM is listed or not. If it isn't listed it could still be compatible since the list is from 2019 and out-dated and Gigabyte may not have tested your RAM for compatibility.

Try stress testing your CPU and GPU and see if it crashes while under stress. You can use OCCT which also Stress tests the PSU.  When running each test keep an eye on temperatures and PSU outputs for any abnormal readings or high temps.

Finally you can open an Online AMD Service Request from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form  and see what they recommend or if your processor needs to be RMAed or not.

Also open a Gigabyte Support ticket and find out if your Motherboard could be defective and to see if your RAM MEMORY is compatible or not.

I will reset my Ryzen Master Settings and BIOS when I get home from work. 

my ram is not on the manufacturers approved list, it was not tested. 

I did download the OCCT and started stressing the system. All seemed well, I did each test for 10 minutes each. Would you recommend a longer stress time? 

0 Likes

I have that CPU and on my B350 board I needed to fiddle with the timing to stabilize the machine. I had to relax the memory time quite a bit.

On my X470 I had similar issues but I bought some new DDR4-3200 RAM but the X470 was not able to leverage it.

So I get an X570 only my CPU does not POST so I questing the claim of compatibility. Eventually a new BIOS surfaced and my R5 2400G was working better. Once I got an R5 3600 I found my X470 was not very  compatible even though the box said it was. I had to RMA my X570 after it was bricked.

Now with the X570 and my R5 3600 and my RAM now work properly. I can say the best bet for your CPU is DDR4-3200 and put up with the BIOS faults until AMD can fix the problems. When you can afford a Ryzen 3000 series the X570 are good. I have the MSI X570-A PRO which scored above the more expensive gaming boards for workstation workloads which was eye opening.

0 Likes

I tried using the Ryzen Dram calculator however, it will not allow me to select under 2666. I have Micron 2400. 

I tried to post with the timings it provided for me with 2666, however system would boot loop.

Is my ram not fast enough?

0 Likes

dakoyta wrote:

I tried using the Ryzen Dram calculator however, it will not allow me to select under 2666. I have Micron 2400. 

I tried to post with the timings it provided for me with 2666, however system would boot loop.

Is my ram not fast enough?

That RAM is more suitable for an older gen 7 or gen 8 Intel box 

AMD  is more sensitive and the G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200 is known to work with Ryzen 3000 series with no fiddling other than to run on A-XMP.

It was expensive to learn how to get a platform working efficiently. Had to go through 3 sets of RAM, 3 motherboards and 2 processors.

0 Likes
warsun
Challenger

If it crashing i an assure you of AMD's quality on processor developments. its the driver that must be giving you problems.

Try this one https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-9-1 

0 Likes

I am currently download the software you sent to me, I will post an update.

My system does occasionally crash on more demanding games like the new Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Maybe once every 5-8 hours.

My CPU us usage on the new Call of Duty Modern Warfare is about 80%.

However, I am not able to play less demanding games such as Minecraft (Bedrock & Java) They both crash every 5-10 minutes inside of a game, even with settings to low.

Please note that my I am referring to a system wide crash, not an application crash. The system does also crash (Very little) but also while browsing web, or using system apps.

Again, I will update you on a current state after downloading the software you have provided.

Thank you again.

0 Likes

I can assure you the Driver i suggested should be perfectly fine for your needs. 17.9.1 has not let me down.

0 Likes

I installed the driver and was having no crashes throughout use yesterday. However I did notice my performance drop a little. However the system has started crashing again today. 4 crashes in 2 hours so far.

0 Likes

dakoyta wrote:

I installed the driver and was having no crashes throughout use yesterday. However I did notice my performance drop a little. However the system has started crashing again today. 4 crashes in 2 hours so far.

Grab DDU and clean up the drivers and try 20.4.1 fresh

0 Likes

I should have mentioned that with my last post. AMD support team reached out to my email and I tried that this morning, and am still having problems.

0 Likes

dakoyta wrote:

I should have mentioned that with my last post. AMD support team reached out to my email and I tried that this morning, and am still having problems.

Probably best advice I can offer now is to reset windows 

This will eliminate software problems, hardware issues are a different problem altogether

0 Likes

I have reset Windows, and still no luck.  

I think I might have a hardware problem.

0 Likes

i found i needed to overvolt my memory, i tried 1.45V and some custom timing

0 Likes

Sorry super busy. Gonna have to ask you do you have a high heat problem in your room an it sounds like your graphics card is spinning loudly? If this is going on you may have a Trojan in your system. An you need to purge it. Try MalwareBytes from BleepingComputer.com. They are who i would recommend if this is going on. You should not by any mean be getting crashes unless you have 2 versions of the same game installed on two locations an one is trying to override the other. You may want to check your system.

0 Likes