cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series drivers

AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series.

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1909 (build 18363.720)

Can anyone tell me what the correct drivers are for this card?

I've tried using the in-site tool, but it's not clear to me - it seems like the R9200 series is different to the HD series and I can't figure out which drivers to download.

I've downloaded the AMD software instead to auto detect, but it doesn't actually appear to tell me what version of the drivers it's using, just that it's 'up to date.'

From device manager I can see that current driver version is 26.20.15029.15007.

I'm having some graphics issues and I'd like to make sure it's not driver related.

Many thanks!

0 Likes
24 Replies

I've tried that, thank you. It updates the drivers, but doesn't say what version they are. I've since back tracked my original order, which gives more info that Belarc Advisor. Apparently the card is a 3GB AMD Radeon HD7970. I guess I have to trust that the Adrenalin software is updating it correctly.

I was hoping to manually download the correct drivers, manually remove the old ones then replace them with the new.

Using DDU 
It is recommended with Windows Safe Mode before each display driver installation.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd-radeon-hd-7970 
This is the latest driver packages page for your GPU.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd... 
And this is previous driver packages page for your GPU.
Drivers starting with version 26 are up to date or close. Perhaps using an old driver may be the solution to your graphic problem.

You have just confirmed exactly what I've been thinking, including using DDU in safe mode and rolling back to the last driver. Many thanks, I will get on this tomorrow.

I was thinking maybe this version might be appropriate:

Revision Number
Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL)
Is there a way to install just the drivers without the full Adrenaline software?
0 Likes

Of course this exists. Extract Radeon driver file to a folder with a program such as 7-zip. Then try a clean driver installation using this folder and Windows Device Manager (Display adapters section).

What graphics problem do you have for which game? Using an older driver may be more useful for an old game. For a new game, I think the opposite is more correct to use a newer driver.

Well the game is Guild wars 2, but the slightly dim screen and muted colours plus slight black flickering when changing views happens in Windows and Opera.

I've downloaded DDU and also Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL) but it's an executable to install Adrenaline, rather than a zip file with just the drivers, as far as i can tell.

0 Likes

Before the driver file extraction, you can go inside the driver exe file with 7-zip software. If you only want driver installation, you can follow that way. Find the driver file with 7-zip and right click and go inside. Then you can extract driver files to a folder and then can use Windows Device Manager.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

With this link, you can report graphics corruption to AMD. In my opinion, specifying the situation with a screenshot can be a guide for understanding the problem.

0 Likes

Excellent, I shall do that. Which files do i need to unpack here? If I unpack the display folder, will that do or do i need to be more specific and select certain files?

Drivers.png

0 Likes

WT6A_INF folder should be extract.

0 Likes

I find the 19.12.1 driver to be the best for these graphics cards. You also get the "easier to understand" control panel.

the driver on windows update is as good as any for old video cards

0 Likes

hardcoregames™ wrote:

Except there is no control panel. Thanks again.

0 Likes

kingfish wrote:

hardcoregames™ wrote:

Except there is no control panel. Thanks again.

The lack of a control panel is not fatal shortcoming, for a person doing word processing does not need overclocking

0 Likes

Never thought of it that way...So people who want the control panel ? Do they fall into the 1% category like people who want to 'mess' with the Wattman themes? 

I will say this...you do wiggle.

0 Likes

kingfish wrote:

Never thought of it that way...So people who want the control panel ? Do they fall into the 1% category like people who want to 'mess' with the Wattman themes? 

I will say this...you do wiggle.

testing windows I noted that the package on window update will eventually install a radeon settings component

0 Likes

Is this a laptop?

0 Likes

No, it's a desktop.

My screen has become a little dimmer with colours and a very brief black flicker behind UI elements as I click on them. I've swapped out monitors, cables, UPS, dusted the PC, bench marked the GPU, checked the temp.

Games are running fine with good FPS. Video playback is fine.

I want therefore to rollback the graphics driver manually to a previous one first before thinking about changing the PSU or card itself. I just don't want all the Adrenalin software that comes with the download and I want to do a clean remove/install of just the drivers from AMD rather than whatever Windows 10 gets me.

0 Likes

captainscapegoat wrote:

No, it's a desktop.

My screen has become a little dimmer with colours and a very brief black flicker behind UI elements as I click on them. I've swapped out monitors, cables, UPS, dusted the PC, bench marked the GPU, checked the temp.

Games are running fine with good FPS. Video playback is fine.

I want therefore to rollback the graphics driver manually to a previous one first before thinking about changing the PSU or card itself. I just don't want all the Adrenalin software that comes with the download and I want to do a clean remove/install of just the drivers from AMD rather than whatever Windows 10 gets me.

I go to the extreme of wiping my SSD and starting fresh, This way I can figure out what is borked.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Go inside the display driver exe file and find WT6A_INF folder and right click on WT6A_INF folder and click Copy to with 7-zip like that...

1.png

Extract WT6A_INF folder to your desktop like that...
2.png

Follow this way... Computer Management > Device Manager > Display adapters > Right Click Microsoft Basic Display Adapter > Select Update driver ... like that...
3.png

Select Browse my computer for driver software... like that...
4.png

Select WT6A_INF folder on your desktop with Browse button... like that...
5.png

Then wait for the display driver installation...
Use DDU and Windows Safe Mode before installing. Clean the old display driver installation. Then disconnect the internet and follow the ways I mentioned.

Good luck...

Very detailed instructions, Thank-you.

warsun
Challenger

You can try this one instead.

Set your driver to default

Uninstall your driver an install this one.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-9-1 

0 Likes

Thank-you for the replies. I'll get on this at some point soon. In lock down here as many are, so I'm taking the opportunity to get out in the garden whilst the sun shines. It will rain soon enough so I'll save mucking about with the computer till that happens.

0 Likes

captainscapegoat wrote:

Thank-you for the replies. I'll get on this at some point soon. In lock down here as many are, so I'm taking the opportunity to get out in the garden whilst the sun shines. It will rain soon enough so I'll save mucking about with the computer till that happens.

20.4.1 is working for me on my team red fanboy box

0 Likes