AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problems waking PC from sleep

Question asked by user0524 on Apr 1, 2020

I just swapped my intel core i5 for a Ryzen 3700x with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 mb and I'm having some system instability issues. Specifically, my PC sometimes does not wake properly from sleep: the case and cpu fans will spin up and the motherboard will light up, but all of the i/o ports remain dead. My monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. all think that the PC is still asleep and will not respond. What is odd is that I can always *initially* wake my PC with either the mouse or keyboard, and all my peripherals will respond at first, but then there is a lag of a few seconds before the system fully wakes up, and sometimes all the peripherals lose power and remain dead. Then I'm forced to hold the power button down.

I don't know what to do or what could be causing this. I am running the latest AMD chipset drivers (v. 2.03.12.657) and the latest BIOS update from Gigabyte. Currently running the Ryzen "High Performance" power plan. I have not tweaked any of my CPU's settings; the only thing I did was overclock my RAM to 3200 Mhz.

If anyone knows what could be going on here I would really appreciate the help.

EDIT #5 (Final edit): After 2 months of trouble shooting I think I finally found the issue, which I am posting here for any future users who encounter this same problem. The following resolved this issue:

1. wipe Windows and do a clean install

2. Update BIOS to f11

3. Disable Fast Boot

After I did these things I was able to put my PC to sleep and wake it back up a bunch of times without any issue. As a final "just in case" measure I decided to edit the Ryzen High Performance power plan by disabling all wake timer events....and suddenly the issue came back. So I went back in and...

4. (the real fix): re-enabled wake timers.

Since I re-enabled wake timers I haven't had any booting issues. TL;DR is it looks like there is something about this motherboard (or my system in particular) that needs the wake timers enabled. Else, it just fails to wake from sleep properly. If you're having an issue like this and you're also running the Aorus Elite x570, try making sure that wake timers are enabled.

Outcomes