cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

korishan
Adept I

GA-AB350 Board Won't Boot w/ A6-9500E APU

Can't get my motherboard to boot. I have tried 2 different APU's.

Ryzen 3 3200G is the first

A6-9500E was the latest

Motherboard: GA-AB350-Gaming SN172000012399

Memory: HyperX HX424C15FB2K2/16  (plugged into Slot 1/3 [both modules], also Slot 2 [single module])

SSD: HP SSD EX900 M.2 (tried installed/uninstalled)

The only LEDs that come on are the highlight ones along the edge of the board. No beeps at all from the board.

Thanks,

Kori

0 Likes
1 Solution

My apologies on the delay, I actually forgot to come back here.

I sent the mobo into GB. Turns out the BIOS was foobarred. So they are replacing it. I hope to get it back soon, I'm anxious to get my Ryzen system up and running

Thanks for the help, elstaci.

Kori

View solution in original post

11 Replies
korishan
Adept I

Just wanting to do an update to some testing.....

I did find out my previous PSU was not supplying enough power and have replaced it.

I was able to do a current test on the board as it powered up. With the A6 installed, it'll start off around 2A consumption. Then after about 10-15 seconds, it'll slow ramp up to about 7.5A consumption over about 30 seconds. Then it'll shut down.

With the Ryzen, it won't go over about 2.5A. I'm assuming this is because the BIOS doesn't recognize it and isn't fully driving the CPU.

0 Likes

If your Motherboard's BIOS/UEFI version is F30 and above, your A6 (Bristol Ridge) processor won't boot up and is not supported anymore: GA-AB350-Gaming (rev. 1.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global 

Only Ryzen Processor will be recognized from BIOS/UEFI version F40 and above:

From CPU World concerning the A6-9500e:

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply and detailed information.

I agree.  However, this board has never been booted successfully and therefore, based on the serial number, it has the F2 BIOS version. So it "should" boot the cpu, correct?

0 Likes

If your Motherboard has the Original F2 BIOS Version then your A6 should work but not the Ryzen APU.

AMDA6-9500E2C3.0GHz / 3.4GHz1MBN/A800 MHzBristol Ridge28nmA135WF2~F25
AMDRyzen 3 3200G4C / 4T3.6GHz / 4.0GHz2MB4nb1250 MHzPicasso12nmB145-65WF40

Of course there is the possibility your A6 processor is defective. See, if possible, you can install it on another compatible Motherboard and see if it boots up or not. If it does boot up then the problem is with your Motherboard. If it again doesn't boot up then you probably have a defective A6 processor.

Also physically check the A6 processor for bent or missing pins.

Otherwise I would open a Gigabyte Support Ticket and see if your Motherboard is defective and needs to be RMAed and replaced.

0 Likes

Both the Ryzen and A6 are new. They were in OEM packaging unopened. I did verify the pins before hand just to make sure. So no pins are broken/bent.

Unfortunately, I don't have another AM4 board. I only have an AM3 board.  I have thought about getting another board just to make sure. But I hate having to buy parts to debug such things.

0 Likes

I agree. Best thing I could suggest is open a Gigabyte Support Ticket to see if they believe your Motherboard needs to be turned in to be checked.

Worst case. take it to a computer repair shop to see if they can get it to boot with a different processor. But that can be expensive. I rather go the Gigabyte Support route.

You can always borrow another Non- 3rd Generation processor from a friend or family that your motherboard supports. if it boots up then you probably have a defective A6 processor. If it still doesn't boot up then you have a defective Motherboard.

I highly suggest you open a Gigabyte Support ticket first. Of if they have a "Live Chat" is even better. Faster service.

When you install the A6, Does it boot into POST during BIOS or no video at all?

Does your Motherboard have any Trouble LEDs. Digital Codes, or abnormal BEEPS when you power up? That will isolate to what hardware is having problems if it does.

When you power up, does the CPU Cooler fan turn on and is running? Are all the Case fans running?  Is the GPU card Fan running? 

Try running the minimum computer setup.

Windows Drive (Hdd/Ssd)

Keyboard and mouse

GPU card if applicable

One stick of RAM Memory

Processor

PSU

Then disconnect everything else connected to the Motherboard.

See if it boots up. Let me know what happens.

It sounds like you have a defective hardware or something is not compatible with your motherboard like RAM Memory.

EDIT: You do have all the Motherboard POWER cables connected, especially the CPU Power cable (Normally a 4, 6, or 8 Pin power connection) if applicable.

0 Likes

I do have a thread over on the gigabyte forum. Tho, no one over there has replied to my post, and I posted it there with the same content as here at the same time.

Unfortunately, everyone I know uses either Intel or older AMD stuff. No one is on the AM4 platform yet. I'm usually the first one to get the new tech.

I have tried different slots on the ram. According to Gigabyte support page, my memory is supported. Again, since I don't have another DDR4 supported platform, I can't swap memory to verify that works. And I'm not sure if anyone has a compatible system to just swap around and test. And now that we are in the middle of self-isolation, kinda makes it hard to go over to someones place to check it out, or even go to a repair shop. Most are closed currently.

I have tried onboard video as well as an addon card. Same results. I get no beeps that I could tell, and CPU fan turns on and runs as normal. The only thing extra that is connected is the M.2 drive, which I do pull out and test w/o it installed as well, same results.

I am waiting on a new PSU as well. Maybe I got unlucky and have 2 units that don't quite hold a stable voltage long enough for the system to post.

Being this is the first time this board would be booting up since manufacturing (the original owner had a Ryzen 5 CPU to try and couldn't get it working), the first "successful" boot may take a bit longer for it to go through it's paces. I've seen some on Linus Tech Tips take upwards of 5 minutes before it finally displayed anything.

The testing continues......

0 Likes

As you probably are aware of that opening a Gigabyte Thread is not the same as opening a Gigabyte Support ticket. 

Gigabyte Support will be able to tell you if your motherboard is defective or needs to be RMAed to be checked.

From your Mobo Manual:

Depending on the Monitor you have connected and type of connection from the GPU, you might get video as soon as it starts to POST (Showing BIOS).

Maybe connect your TV set to see if you get any image or video instead of your computer Monitor.

If the CPU Cooler fan is running normally when you power up then your computer may be booting up but without video. But normally you hear a beep if one is connected to the motherboard. If not you can purchase a inexpensive Computer case speaker to connect to the Mobo. Then you can hear the BEEPS it makes.

Make sure the ATX_12v  power is connected - 8 PIN PSU Cable and see if the BIOS Chips indicates which BIOS Version it has on it - M_BIOS & B_BIOS:

Just to make sure your Mobo BIOS is in "Default" or Factory Settings do a CMOS CLEAR (Removing the battery).

So far you have tried a Ryzen 5, Ryzen 3, and A6 APU with no success.

For the Ryzen 5 1xxx processor (most model of 16xx), the Mobo will need version F4 and later installed for the processor to be recognized and boot.

But if you believe the Mobo has the original BIOS version F2 installed, then the R5 and R3 would not work but the A6 should.

Your Gigabyte Motherboard has Duel BIOS. This means if the Main BIOS gets corrupted, it will switch over to the backup BIOS on the Motherboard.

Do you know how to access the Backup BIOS to work instead of the Main BIOS?

Reason why I ask is in case the Main BIOS might be corrupted or defective. If you can switch and use the Backup BIOS then maybe your Motherboard may boot up with the A6 processor. The Backup has the original BIOS that the motherboard shipped with.

Can you use Q Flash to switch to the Backup BIOS?

I can't say you have a defective Mobo because you need to know exactly which BIOS version is installed. IF as you say the BIOS version is F2 then the A6 should work but none of the Ryzen. But if you purchased this Mobo recently it should have a much higher BIOS version then F2 installed when it was shipped.

The Mobo Retail box might indicate the BIOS Version installed.

In which case, at least your Ryzen 5 should have worked. depending which model Ryzen 5 the other person used.

I am beginning to believe your Mobo is defective unless you failed to connect the ATV_12 power connector on the Mobo or the A6 is defective.

Possibly the original defective PSU could have damaged the Mobo with bad voltages.

EDIT: I am sorry that I am given you such long detailed replies. Just trying to give you ideas on how to troubleshoot your computer. Just take each suggestion one at a time. Sometimes I ask some very basic steps because many times, even experienced computer Users, forget like installing or connecting a cable.

0 Likes
korishan
Adept I

Thanks for the information. You've given me a lot of avenues to test to narrow down the problem. Unfortunately, I think the mobo is dead. I get no beeps at all. I'll take this up with Gigabyte and continue over there.

Thank you for your time, elstaci. Most valuable help.

0 Likes

I hope you find your answer and Gigabyte will replace your Mobo if it deems it to be defective.

Either way give me an update once you got your computer finally working again.

0 Likes

My apologies on the delay, I actually forgot to come back here.

I sent the mobo into GB. Turns out the BIOS was foobarred. So they are replacing it. I hope to get it back soon, I'm anxious to get my Ryzen system up and running

Thanks for the help, elstaci.

Kori