cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mfurkanozata
Journeyman III

DOES MY ASUS REALLY HAVE HD 8500M, R5 M420, OR ANY GPU?

My computer has AMD A9-9410 7TH GEN, AMD RADEON R5 M420 2GB GPU, AMD RADEON R5 GRAPHICS AS EMBEDED GPU WITH CPU, AND 12GB RAM. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE R5 M420 SEEMS AS IF IT IS AMD RADEON HD 8500M AND HAS NO PERFORMANCE WHILE EVEN IT IS WORKING AT THE HIGH PERFORMANCE LEVEL (FROM GRAPH SETTINGS ON WINDOWS 10). I TRIED ALL THE SUGGESTIONS ON THE WEB.
1-I REMOVED THE ALL GPU DRIVER BY USING DDU ON SAFE MODE AND THEN SET UP THE SUGGESTED DRIVERS (ACTUALLY ALL DRIVERS ON THE WEB :D)(BY HARDWARE IDENTITY AND OFFICIAL AMD WEBSITE)
2-I ALSO USED THE DRIVER THAT OBTAINED FROM ASUS WEBSITE
3-THE GPU2(R5 M420 OR HD 8500M) HAS A TEMPERATURE OVER 50 CELSIUS
4-I TRIED TO INSTALL DRIVER BY USING WINDOWS DISKET PANEL BUT I COULD NOT FIND THE CORRECT DRIVER.(HOWEVER, I TRIED IT AGAIN BY INSTALLING THE CLOSE ONES LIKE 'R5 420')
5-THE AIDA64 WAS USED. THERE IS NO ADITIONAL INFO.
IN A WORD,
MY PC HAS A SECOND GPU, BUT I CANNOT USE IT SINCE THE DAY I BOUGHT. PLEASE HELP ME!

EDIT: I ORDERED AN eGPU AND PCI-E EXPRESS ADAPTER TO BETTER PERFORMANCE WITH SOLIDWORKS 2014. IF I CANNOT FIX THIS, I WILL USE THE eGPU.

2 Replies

First if you are using AMD generic Laptop Graphic driver it might show different GPUs models in your laptop but it will still work correctly and be compatible.

Make sure your laptop has the latest BIOS/UEFI and CHIPSET installed from your laptop Support download page.

Make sure your Windows is completely updated via Windows Update. AMD Drivers work correctly when Windows is completely updated.

Then I highly suggest that you uninstall the AMD generic Laptop grahpics and install your Laptop Manufacturer's AMD Graphics driver.

Your Laptop Manufacturer AMD Graphics driver is 100% compatible with your laptop. After installing it will correctly identify both GPUs in your laptop.

After installing see if your laptop works correctly and you are satisfied. If you don't need to update the AMD driver then don't unless a program or software requires newer AMD Graphics driver.

If your laptop is working correctly with your Manufacturer's AMD Graphics driver installed but it is Out-dated. Then uninstall the AMD Driver and install the latest AMD APU Driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a9-series-apu-for-laptops/7th-gen-a9-94... 

Use this basic method to uninstall and install your AMD APU driver:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

0 Likes

AMD offers generic versions of drivers...often the designation is different than if you downloaded from the manufacturer...but they are the same drivers.

I think you need to read the owners manual. Better yet....

Configuring Radeon™ Software for a Better Gaming Experience

https://www.amd.com/en/support/driverhelp 

You have to assign the high power graphics to a individual game: To do that you go to the computer "DISPLAY" settings and scroll down to "GRAPHICS".

Your COMPUTER power plan should be set to "Performance"...not the default "Balanced".

0 Likes