cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wim-bart
Elite

I had 144Hz and now suddenly 60Hz with freesync

Where is my 144Hz with freesync? I have a capable screen but in game it is now limited to 60 in every game.

Driver: 20.3.1

Timinginformatie - Horizontaal - Verticaal
Totaal - 2720 - 1481
Beeldscherm - 2560 - 1440
Voorportaal - 48 - 1443
Synch.breedte - 32 - 5
Polariteit - Positief - Positief
Geïnterlinieerd/Progressief - Progressief
G.Pixelklok (KHz) - 241500
G.Vernieuwingssnelheid (Hz) - 59.9506
HDMI-koppelingstatusbewaking - Uitgeschakeld
Instellingen huidige link - 2.7 Gbps x 4
Radeon™ FreeSync Refresh Rate - 30 to 60 Hz reported by display
What the f... is happening here? This is really not fun. Bound @ home by Corona and unable to game...…. 
8 Replies

Depends if your Monitor is Freesync Premium capable or not. It should be. In your Monitor's OSD there should be two Freesync settings - Freesync and Freesync Premium.

Is your Monitor set for Freesync Premium or just Freesync?

From AMD concerning Freesync: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq 

0 Likes

It is a 144Hz Freesync Screen. Always worked until I installed 20.3.1 and installing a second one. But I have solved the issue. After Installing 20.3.1 the Display settings where set at 60Hz in the driver. After Advanced config I managed to set the driver to 144Hz.

1. Display settings

step 1 - Open Display.png

2. Scroll down until "Advanced properties"

step 2 - Scroll down and select Advanced settings.png

3. The advanced setting is displayed

step 3 - advanced settings.png4. Click on the "Properties of the adapter"

5. Click on the second tab

6. Change the Frequency

step 5 - Change the rate on tab 2.png

After this it is good again.

Good job of Troubleshooting. I figured it may have been a configuration issue. 

If everything is working now normally with both Monitors connected and Freesync active might as well mark your reply mentioning how you fixed the problem so others will know what to check in the future.

Take care.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Some games will work with only 60 hertz if you don't delete unnecessary resolutions and hertz values with CRU software. But some games require 60 hertz. The number of these games is very low. Before running such kind of games, 60 hertz can be created with Radeon Software with custom resolution setting. 

I use this card and monitor for 2,5 years now with Multiple Games, in CS:GO i haf top notch 143fps with freesync on this screen, with Black Ops, Black Ops 2, Modern Warfare, Doom also 143-144fps with freesync. But since this driver it went back to 60fps. So "Some games..." maybe do, but not all my games. I even get 144fps with all Thomb Raider games when switching off all eye candy and that on 1440p. Currently I have approx 150 games in my Stream, all play fluent 144fps with Freesync….. Until I installed driver version 20.3.1. 

And then my second screen came and... everything was broken. Gaming became impossible, there was a popup from AMD what showed me to press some key combination in an overlay causing to tear images over both screens rendering my system unstable. The only way to get the system functional is to use DDU remove the AMD Software, Install the old 2019 software, update the drivers from extracted 20.3.1 package and then manual set the screen frequency to 144Hz.

So the issues are not with the driver pur sang, the issues are with the bundle around it, the installer and the graphical interface of AMD Software. 

Do not understand me wrong, I am a huge AMD fan, since AMD made the first CPU and my first graphic cards where from ATI. But with pain in my heart, for graphics I will switch to NVidia, not because the hardware, just because of the software. I was looking forward to my ASUS ROG Strix 5700XT Gaming... But I canceled the order and consider to order a 2070 Super instead when next drivers are same as current. It € 100 more expensive, but better and stable software. 

I'm someone who knows the GPUs history and knows the graphics cards and I use nVidia for now. And if you don't use DDU, you can't play some games 144 hertz even with nVidia. 

0 Likes

Not totally agree this. The best results are with "Reset to factory default settings" during setup. When you have a full AMD system (Ryzen platform) DDU will do more harm then good.

I've tested it in following combinations:

• R7 1700 with RX570
  • R7 1700 with RX580
  • R9 3900 with RX580
  • R9 3900 with RX570XT
0 Likes

"When you have a full AMD system (Ryzen platform) DDU will do more harm then good."

Please stop building up this nonsense

0 Likes