AnsweredAssumed Answered

Setting Link State Power Management to off fixed my crashes

Question asked by forkwny on Mar 22, 2020

Upgraded to 20.3.1 drivers a few days ago (day of release). I've noticed more frequent system crashes (prior to the latest Adrenalin upgrade, no crashes, crashes were very rare). The crashes happen randomly, often when my PC is idle. Symptom of crash - I notice the GPU Fan RPM drops to 0, then the system reboots or shuts down with little to no warning. When the crashes occur, nothing useful goes into the Windows 10 Event Log, just the typical dump messages (Bug Check, etc.) show up.

At first, after experiencing random crashes at idle, I used the AMD "clean uninstaller" to completely remove 20.3.1, then rebooted, and reinstalled 20.3.1 using the full installer. This did not resolve the issue. Crashes still occurring. I may roll back if the crashes become more frequent. A sign of an impending crash is when my GPU fan drops to 0RPM, which I notice using the AMD Metrics overlay. I use manual tuning for the GPU fan as it tends to run on the warm side if the fan doesn't crank up as the GPU heats up during gaming, so I disable the "0 RPM" option and set the GPU fan to ramp up manually to keep things cooler. This seems buggy as I've seen the drivers lose the manual fan settings while my PC is running (not after reboot, etc.). The release notes mentioned better "zero RPM support", which seems to be causing the problems (at least in my case). I know a lot of 5700 users have mentioned issues as well.

System Setup details:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Memory: 32GB @3200Mhz

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E v1407 BIOS (latest BIOS)

GPU: XFX RX590 Fat Boy

Windows build: Windows 10 x64 build 1909, latest patches installed

AMD Chipset drivers: 2.03.12.0657 (released 3/19/20)

Outcomes