cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

warlocksrb
Adept I

RX590 occasionally crashing the system

OK, so here is the problem, I've tested every possible component in my system, and all is pointing towards either some of the driver incompatibility or GFX alone.

I have Win10Pro 64bit
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (stock) + CM Hyper TX2 (with TX3 fan)

ASrock B450M Pro4

2x8GB DDRIV Kingston HyperX (stock 3.2GHz, BIOS setup)

Biostar 480GB SSD

3 SATA WD Black drives

Sapphire RX590 Nitro+ OC
Antec 700W PSU

all in NZXT Tempest Evo

Running dual monitor setup (2x1080p) with HDMI audio on first monitor.

Occasionally I got just crash without any indication what it could be, sometimes system freezes for second or two then it just runs normal, but sometimes system freezes for same amount of time and then my sound is messed up.

I am somehow sure it is either GFX card or driver issue, but if it is GFX card it doesn't make any sense since it could happen whenever, if it is not under load, if it is under load, if I just watch YT or video etc.

None of my components are overheating, or were overheated. All of them are basically new, same thing happen on older PC (FX-8350) and only two components are left from that old PC, that is GFX and SSD (both around 1 year old).

Did anyone have similar problems, my next thing is to bring GFX to seller to test it if it is faulty, SSD was already tested and it is not faulty. But due to COVID-19 outbrake I will pospone it a bit.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
6 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

What version of AMD driver are you using? 20.2.2?

0 Likes
warlocksrb
Adept I

Yes, just did fresh system and installed latest driver, 20.2.2.

0 Likes
johnhardyiv
Adept III

Yes, I had this problem with an RX590 I bought to troubleshoot other graphic issues with a 5600XT.  Both were on 20.2.2.  The black screens and hangs from these recent drivers are not confined to the navi cards it appears.  You could try an older driver in the 19.xx late years series, some folks have had better luck with them.  There were other threads that had the 590 and crashes if you search for them.

0 Likes
warlocksrb
Adept I

I remember all this starting somewhere around October last year, first I tough it is my PSU Corsair 750W since it was 10+ years old, and changed it together with MoBo, CPU and RAM, but problems still stayed, as I said SSD and GFX were bough last year in March, so they were new basically, mostly symptoms were if SSD is at the end, but as it seems it happens even on regular HDD, so either it is GFX or software problem, GFX I cannot return now since COVID-19 outbrake in my country so I'll have to wait few months for this, but wanted to make sure if this is it.

Will try some older drivers and check back here afterwards. Thanks

0 Likes
citizenx
Journeyman III

I have a system similar to yours with a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ OC. I was also experiencing micro freezes that would last from a few seconds up to a couple minutes as well as random black screens. I don't recall having any sound issues though. What seems to have fixed it for me is disabling the XMP Profile, and manually overclocking the ram to the XMP Profile specifications. I know it sounds silly, but my pc has been running smooth for 3 days now without a hiccup. This is on a mostly new pc built within the last week. My graphics card is about a year old, and I'm using the psu from my old rig.

0 Likes
warlocksrb
Adept I

OK, so after a more then few days, seems it wasn't at all driver related nor it was GFX card. I cannot believe this happened but here it is.

As said, in last year I've completely changed my PC case, with SSD and GFX being oldest, around 1 year.
Thing that I didn't change was my Logitech G300 mouse and keyboard, well, since my mouse already had few bad buttons, it was time to change it, and I wanted to get one of those MX Performance models (only older two available here in Serbia, 1 or 2S), now since difference between 2S and 3 is only in USB port and fast charging, it wasn't that important to me to get newest one.

But behold, since I changed my mouse, my PC is working normal, and as it appears, my old G300 had some sort of problem of shorting out USB connector and this was causing my PC to hang/restart without any warning, and since it was connected via case controller, it was probably doing some weird things to USB controller on board.

Well, one thing is good in all of this, I got myself a new PC.

Hope this helps someone, not just to check internals of PC, but also external, especially USB parts.

Cheers