cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thadarknight
Journeyman III

I cant stand these Random black screens anymore

I am so tired of these Random Black screens on my 5600xt its starting to get depressing. Its so random but does happen often. I have tried everything and the problem still persists. I know for sure I am not the only one and the only thing AMD can tell me is when it happens to press WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B to restart my drivers. 

That should not be the answer when you spend good money a product you expect to work. Who else is fed up as I am. Im kind of debating making a switch to the green team to eliminate these issues. Its not being an AMD hater I just want to be able to game or be on my desktop without some random black screen

6 Replies

There is some data / feedback to indicate that some GPU VBIOS and/or Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2. is setting Game Clock and Boost Clock values higher than GPU Specification by default. 
This might be a reason for these RX5700XT GPUs crashing.
Obviously AMD and the GPU Manufacturers need to investigate this to confirm or prove this is not a problem.

However you could help as follows.

Please post details of your system. CPU, GPU, Motherboard, BIOS, RAM, PSU, HDD.
Please point to the manufacturer web site for the GPU you are using.

Go to manufacturer website.
Get the specification for:

Base Clock
Game Clock

Boost Clock
Post those specs here.

Remove all third party overclocking tools.
Download and install latest version of TechPowerUp GPUz:GPU-Z Graphics Card GPU Information Utility 
Download Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2
Download latest DDU from here: Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download 
Extract DDU and create a shortcut to the DDU executable and place it on your Windows desktop.
Disconnect completely from the internet - remove ethernet cable and turn on flight mode for WIFI. 
Boot into Windows safe mode.
Run DDU in safe mode to remove any traces of Nvidia and AMD Drivers.
Boot into Windows.

Run Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 installer and set Factory Reset Options.
The PC should reboot.
Once the PC Reboots, Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 should install.
Reboot the PC again.
You can now connect to the internet if you want to. 
Open TechPowerUp GPUz and take a screenshot of the GPU data. Post it here.
Open Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 -> Performance Tab.
Set to manual.
Turn on all slider buttons to show all performance metrics.
Take Screenshots and post them here.
Set Game Clock to GPU Spec Value.
Set Boost clock to GPU  Spec Value.
Do not undervolt anything.
Make sure you apply the changes in the Adrenalin GUI.
Check what TechPowerUpGPUz reports and make sure they match the GPU Spec.
Take a screenshot of the TechPowerUpGPUz GPU data. Post it here.
Try to run a GPU Benchmark such as 3DMark - The Demo Version should be fine. It can be downloaded and run for free.
See if the GPU crashes or not.
After that test some games.
Please provide your feedback.

Thank you.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

I understand your mood. press WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B won't help at all. I also can't stand with this situation but I can't do anything.

0 Likes
enragedn3wb
Adept II

Man I haven't even bought a new AMD card yet, still using my old R9 290X with problems of it's own. I had planned to upgrade this year. Unfortunately I can't justify buying an AMD GPU knowing full well it will destabilize my system...

Hell 1/2 of the known issues are black screens & system hangs that have been on the list for months now!

Get your **** together AMD!! I don't want to have to go back to shady Nvidia BS just to have a stable system...

0 Likes

Lol, ok then.

How about I stick to my information & you refrain from making assumptions about where I get it.

0 Likes

What's shady about nvidia?

0 Likes

Gameworks? Gsync? TWIMTBP? PhysX sabotaging CPU code path? Tessellation under water? Hairworks? Lying about 970 specs? Lying about 1060 specs(can't use 48 ROPs in reality)? Lying about dx12 support on Maxwell? Deliberately not supporting Async compute to both sabotage AMD and older Nvidia cards for when they do support it? GPP market sabotaging program? Founders Edition price gouging? RTX price gouging? Titan cards marketed for Prosumer, then crippling prosumer capabilities in next release? Raising Ti prices to Titan prices, and Titan prices to Quadro prices without Quadro capabilities? Limiting ram capacities for planned obsolescence? Ditching driver optimization when it suits them to sell new hardware(960 vs 780 in TW3)? Cheating benchmarks by making "reviewers" use cherry picked games and Nvidia optimized game settings?

There's more than enough evidence than Nvidia IS Shady. The only positive is their driver support, which QUICKLY TURNS INTO A NEGATIVE after they release next gen hardware and ditch all driver optimization for their previous gen hardware. You spend more money, more often with Nvidia, by design, although even with the scamming you still have better stability.

Nvidia is only acceptable when you can get a reasonable price, on an architecture they're not going to screw over with bad driver optimization, which is why Pascal was their best hardware.

AMD was (past tense) a good alternative up until their stupid black screens and driver instability, which they previously pretended like they had fixed all driver issues and were finally on par with Nvidia. (Not anymore, lol.)