cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kirilkm
Journeyman III

what motherboard do i need ?

so i am building a new gaming pc and its my first time using AMD GPU so i have couple of questions ..

i am going to buy the AMD Ryzen 7 3800x 3.9 GHz 8-core and i am having trouble to understand what kind of motherboard i need .

does it matter what brand i use or its better to use MSI one (same question for the Graphic cards)

and can someone please explain to me about the chipset , and what kind of chipset do i need in the motherboard.

recommendation for a motherboard would be good . thank you for spending time to read and answer (even if you dont).

0 Likes
2 Replies

Depends on what your Budget is. How much you are willing to spend.

Building a computer is a little bit complex.

First you need to have the proper PSU to power your computer system with a high wattage processor and/or GPU card. I suggest something around 850 watts or higher with a metal ratings (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze). You can use this website as a reference for the type of PSU you might need depending on the GPU card you are going to use: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX 

For the Ryzen 3rd Generation processor you need a Motherboard that uses a AM4 Socket unless you are planning on getting a 3rd generation ThreadRipper Processor that uses a Motherboard Socket TR4.

Besides other Users opinion on which AM4 Motherboard is best, do some research by reading reviews and customer's evaluations of the motherboard you are interesting in buying. In customer's evaluation I tend to look at the poor ratings (1 or 2 stars) to see if I see anything common.

As an example I found this at PCGAMER.com which shows their best Ryzen Gaming motherboards for 2020: Best AMD motherboards in 2020 | PC Gamer 

All the Drivers you need including CHIPSET, BIOS, & Graphics you can download from the Motherboard's Support download site.  If you need the latest CHIPSET & Graphics driver for AMD hardware than you can go to AMD Download page unless the Motherboard's drivers are just as new or recent.

CHIPSET drivers are drivers for the various components (Chips) installed on your motherboard.

You also are going to need a Computer case with good air flow (lots of case fans) and large enough to fit all the hardware you will be using including today's huge GPU cards.

Good luck.

0 Likes

The R7 3800X would do well on an X570 based motherboard which can leverage the PCIe 4.0 support.

0 Likes