lixteris

My experience with AMD drivers and 240Hz monitor

Discussion created by lixteris on Mar 10, 2020

Some says 240Hz monitor, in this case Alienware AW2518HF, is overkill, but it's not: Full HD resolution is not so demanding at games and I easily get 140-180 FPS at High settings in CoD: Modern Warfare or Destiny 2. In any case, I see a lot of troubles regarding 240Hz monitors.

As I remember, last year even in one of drivers AMD said, that they know, that some games with 240Hz monitors stutters or lags. After 20.1.3 I saw a lot of improvements: Call of Duty: Modern Wafare was smooth, Destiny 2 sometimes stuttered, but not as bad as before, The Division 2 was working fine with DX12 (not DX11, in that case it's unplayable). I though that 240Hz issues was fixed.

After 20.2.1 optional drivers I saw same behavior as before: stutters in CoD, The Division 2 started to stutter, even crash randomly with DX12, Destiny 2 was fine. 20.2.2 didn't fix any of those problems, so my decision was to roll back to 20.1.3, because, hey - I have RX 5700 XT, it's not that cheap card and I wanted to play my games without stutters.

My question was simple: what was changed between 20.1.3 and 20.2.1 regarding 240Hz monitor use? Drivers are a mess.

Outcomes