Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

chipe55
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2600X ran at 107 degrees Celsius

Greetings everyone!

I had a weird situation last night while gaming. I was playing Divinity Original Sin 2 and all was OK for a about an hour, but suddenly I heard the GPU fan going wild and some rather weird noises for about 3-4 mins. Just to check, I had a look through the glass side panel and all case fans, including the CPU fan weren't working. I shut the game down immediately and checked HWiNFO for sensor data. The CPU temperature was 107 degrees Celsius at the time. The weird thing is that it didn't auto shutdown and there was no throttling. The game was working fine. I immediately restart the system and the fans started working again. The BIOS started with a message CPU over temperature error and I saw on the sensor that the temperature started dropping to normal after the CPU fan started spinning again. 

Now, I never overclocked the CPU and the CPU cooler is a bit overkill (Noctua NH-U14S) in this regard, but I like my system dead quiet in all scenarios. Since I built this PC a year and a half ago, everything was working perfectly well. And then this happened.

I ran Prime95 for about 25 mins and there were no issues but I'm still a bit worried.

My question is this: is there a possibility that the CPU was permanently damaged while working at this temperature? Also, I presume that the warranty does not cover damages like this?

Thanks in advance for the support! 

0 Likes
4 Replies

You should use Ryzen Master to check the temps, as other programs can generate erroneous readings.

0 Likes

I think the readings may have been good here because the CPU fan completely stopped working. 

Does the MB trigger the auto shutdown or the CPU?

My MB is Asus X470 PRO.

0 Likes

There are hard coded safety limits in the motherboard and CPU which will trigger throttling once at a certain temperature, and, if it continues to heat up, an immediate shutdown will occur, and on the next boot you will get the BIOS error of "CPU Over Temperature Warning", or words to that effect, so the CPU doesn't take damage.

Thanks for the info.

A while ago, finished with a Prime95 stress test that ran for 6 hours and it seems that everything is fine. No errors.

0 Likes