cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

spesh
Journeyman III

Can't install software for my Radeon HD 7970 on Windows 10 64 Pro

About a week ago Windows did an update the wiped out my old Crimson software and drivers. I have tried installing the new Adrenalin Software and event the previous Crimson with no luck. The same issue happens ever time. About 5-10 seconds into the installer the computer freezes and I have to manually reset. I have tried everything I could find on the net for answers. Removed old, clean install, safe mode, turned off anti virus, disconnected internet, fresh install of windows.... you name it and I tried it with no luck. I have three Radeon HD 7970 in Crossfire. I disconnected the Crossfire thinking it was causing issues and now I am running one card and one monitor. Please help me get this software installed. 

0 Likes
13 Replies

Have you checked Device Manager for any Error ?

Also check Windows Event Viewer under "Errors" and see if there are any errors  related to the AMD installation. If it is, it should indicate what file is crashing the computer.

See if your HD 7970 is being recognized in Device Manager. If it is and it is using MS Basic Graphic Adapter, see if your can manually update the driver by directing it to C:\AMD Installation folder. It should just install the Graphics driver and any related software.

Then see if you can install the full package. Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode with the Internet disconnected. Once it finishes and reboots to the Desktop, delete C:\AMD installation folder from the previous attempt at installing the AMD driver package. Now still with the internet disconnected, install the latest AMD Driver Package and see if it continues to freeze.

Sounds like there is a conflict when installing the latest Driver.

0 Likes

Ok, so checked for errors like you said and none show regarding AMD.

My GPU is being recognized and I am able install the driver manually, but only in safe mode.

Used DDU and tried to install the package with the internet disconnected and it still freezes in the same spot. I am including a pic of where it freezes. Don’t think it will help but who knows.

What can I try next?[cid:6C5F9192-F8F7-45A2-BBED-4A420C8C3AA2-L0-001]

0 Likes

If that is where it freezes than you must have some software or hardware that isn't compatible with the AMD Driver.

Try this only for troubleshooting purposes. Start your Windows Desktop with a Clean Desktop. This is basically disabling all 3rd party drivers or startups. It is very simple to do. Here is how to do it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 

Once you are on the clean Desktop environment. Try to install AMD driver again with internet disconnected. Make sure to delete C:\AMD Folder before installing again.

Otherwise try installing a previous AMD driver and case the problem is with the latest AMD Driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd... 

Also before running, use this Microsoft Uninstaller/Installer Troubleshooter to see if it helps any.  I have attached it to this post for your to download by clicking on it.

Did the clean boot install and again it freezes at the same spot. I try the previous drivers but same issue. I even tried the oldest driver listed.

Extremely frustrating because it was all just working fine last week and that windows update wiped everything.

I can get the driver to install but not the software. I have no way to enable my crossfire or setup my monitors to act as one.

I feel my next step is to swap out my GPUs but I don’t want to do that because my system is liquid cooled and I would have to disconnect all the lines to my water blocks.

Anything else I could try before I just give up on AMD?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

''Ok, so checked for errors like you said and none show regarding AMD.'  What other shows besides AMD?

What bios do you have? Is this a mining rig? What OS? https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

Here are the errors from event viewer. I will send my system information in the next post.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

Also show Device Manager with it's errors/yellow marks..

0 Likes

• AMD Graphics Card

• HIS Radeon HD 7970 IceQ X2 (3X)

• Desktop or Laptop System

• Desktop

• Operating System

• Windows 10 64bit Pro

• Driver version installed

• MSBD

• Display Devices

• Samsung C27FG70 1024x768 @60Hz mini DP to DP

• Motherboard + Bios Revision

• Asus Maximus V Bios Version 1903 x64

• CPU/APU

• i7-3770K 3.5 GHz

• Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage

• EVGA Supernova 1600 T2

• RAM

• 32GB

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

I didn't realize you had 2 GPU installed.  Or is it 6 GPUs --> HIS Radeon HD 7970 IceQ X2 (3X)

If 6 GPUs installed how?

Could it be possible just to have one GPU installed and see if you can install the driver.

Possible one of the GPUs could be defective or the way they are connected may have an issue.

EDIT: I would also just to make sure your Windows is not corrupted or missing any important files run in a elevated Command Prompt or powershell  SFC /scannow.

Probably Kingfish would probably be the best User to help you on this.

No errors in device manager

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

I can but it will take some time. The water block connects all three cards together, so I will have to drain my system, remove the connecting block, and reroute my lines to only one card. Hence why I wanted to try everything else before doing it.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

I don't mean event viewer...Give us a screenshot of your Device Manager yellow marks.

I have 3 GPUs, but disconnected the crossfire cables thinking that it was causing my issue early on.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes