cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hanis
Adept I

AMD FirePro S7150x2 cannot boot the server (Supermicro X9SRG-F motherboard)

Hi

I have weird issue.

I have AMD FirePro S7150x2 GPU that i want to run it on supermicro server with X9SRG-F motherboard

when installing the GPU and connecting both power cables and then running the server  the following will happen

1- the server will start the post process utill it reach post code 91 then it will reboot

2- after the reboot it will reach 91 again and just do nothing

I have two of thsi GOU with exact same bahvoir

when trying to install old GPU it work fine

So the isseu is somehow related to AMD FirePro S7150x2

does anyone know any trick to make server boot ?

Note: asked supermicro already and they told me the motherboard is EOL and i should get new motherboard to get support !!

any suggestions for debugging apprediated

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
hanis
Adept I

atmosphere‌ and elstaci

you both were of great help

the pointers you gave helped me find the right solution and the GPU is up and running now

So the secret sauce was 3 config options in the bios while the GPU is not connected yet

1- Above 4G Decoding = enabled

2- MMCFG base: Set to 0xC0000000.

3- ASPM to auto (not sure if it is important but didnt try while it was disabled)

now the server is up and running fine and it access the GPU with no issues

this article is the one that gave me the hints mostly

Issue - Booting with 32x GPUs / 128GB of video RAM stuck at initializing | ServeTheHome and ServeThe... 

I was few hours away from orderning new server to handle the GPU

I even contacted supermicro support and they told me the GPU is not supported on that board !!

Thanks

View solution in original post

14 Replies

If fsadough‌ doesn't reply to your question than try posting your question at a more appropriate AMD Forum: AMD Server Gurus‌.

0 Likes

Hmmm, though i agree both are Prosumer or Proffesional components for WS or SRV, its an Intel mobo.

not sure, what would be better suited.. an Intel platform question in AMD server.. would compute count...?

@OP... does it boot with monitor on IGP? With the card inserted, but no monitor connected?

edit: @elastici, not trying to go against you, just wondering... (and the compute thing made me wonder about boot with igp.

0 Likes

FYI: I know you weren't going against me. So don't worry about that. Continue giving your suggestions or advice. Might be helpful.

Edit: Deleted the rest of our thread since you were correct about going off subject.

Lol, ahh curiousity from my end.. and if it helps some,.. it should, at least up to a certain point hehe,.. Thanks anyway

0 Likes

Actual this GPU  have mini display port but the port is behind the pci metal so i cannot access it unless i remove the pci metal the lock the GPU in the slot ( i did remove it just to test and the port does not output anything even when i force the motherboard through jumpers and bios to use the external GPU for output) (I think the port is disabled thats why it was behind the metal )

this GPU is not intended to be used as main GPU as i is used for either computation or to give Virtual machines on the server GPU access .

So to answer the question the IGP do output the initial server initialization but stop at step 91

it is exactly like the graph you see here the right bottom corner will stop counting at 91

FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. 

0 Likes

Could you try:

Had this problem when the video output was to "UEFI" in BIOS. Resetting the BIOS to defaults (by removing power and the CMOS battery) fixed it by reverting the BIOS video output to "Legacy".

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

Are you using the latest bios for your board?

Also it might be worth to try the card in another pcie slot. If it works its likely a bios issue. Had that myself some time ago...  But that was not a serverboard hehe...

are you using a riser?.

and in BIOS change Video priority to "offboard", then switch the jumper to turn onboard video off (if your mobo has it, else maybe within BIOS)

0 Likes

yes latest bios

the server has 2 16x pci slots I tried in both (both accessed through riser) with same result

tried jumper and didnt help as I dont think the s7150x2 have the minidisplay port enabled

0 Likes

Ok, but the board might still think it is a offboard GPU.. 

Did it still give you an 91 error?

please set the “above 4G decoding” if you havent already... it might be competing with the IGP for the adressable memory range. With multiple cards this is outen required, and the onboard graphics count as one as well.

0 Likes

Have you disabled enhanced sync?

Also disable any anti-flicker or ghosting settings on the panel itself ... 

disabeling trace-free on my screen solved a weird brightness issue here

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

I found this link, which mentions using extender, but there is mention of a jumper and switching a setting in BIOS. He is using an GeForce 650ti.. TLDR version (check the manual first and ) the board has a jumper, JPG 1,  for IGP/dGU selection.   change BIOS, Video-priority to offboard. 

0 Likes

Found this previous thread about the error you are having "91": Supermicro stuck on 91 - Server Fault 

Here is the latest AMD Professional driver for your GPU Card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/firepro/firepro-s-series/firepro-s7150-x2 

Here are the previous AMD Professional driver for you GPU card in case the latest is the problem: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/professional-graphics/firepro/firepro-s-series/firep... 

Here is SuperMicro's OS Compatibility Chart: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | OS Compatibility Chart  (Note: If you have Windows 10 I don't see that listed as being compatible).

Here is SuperMicro's Download page for your motherboard. See if you need to update any drivers: Product Resources |

Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. 

Here are the latest BIOS/UEFI for your motherboard: BIOS & BMC & Bundled Download | Intel | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. 

Have you tried to open a SuperMicro Support ticket by any chance if you have done all of the above: Support | Supermicro 

Also open an Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD Support) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes
hanis
Adept I

atmosphere‌ and elstaci

you both were of great help

the pointers you gave helped me find the right solution and the GPU is up and running now

So the secret sauce was 3 config options in the bios while the GPU is not connected yet

1- Above 4G Decoding = enabled

2- MMCFG base: Set to 0xC0000000.

3- ASPM to auto (not sure if it is important but didnt try while it was disabled)

now the server is up and running fine and it access the GPU with no issues

this article is the one that gave me the hints mostly

Issue - Booting with 32x GPUs / 128GB of video RAM stuck at initializing | ServeTheHome and ServeThe... 

I was few hours away from orderning new server to handle the GPU

I even contacted supermicro support and they told me the GPU is not supported on that board !!

Thanks

I wasn't much help. But glad you were able to figure it out.

You might want to mark your last reply with the solution as "Correct" so others will know what you needed to do to fix your problem in the future.

0 Likes