5700 XT flickering and crashing.

Discussion created by aarim on Mar 4, 2020

I figured I would chime in, finally, about all of these 5700 XT issues. My system specs are as follows:


Windows 10 1909 (Build 18363)

CPU: AMD 3800X (chipset driver package

GPU: XFX 5700 XT reference. (Running 20.2.2 as of now)

MOBO: MSI X570 Gaming EDGE WiFi (BIOS 1.60)

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 (FW version 1.02.64)

P/S: Corsair RM850x

Monitor: Samsung LC49RG90SSNXZA (49 inch 120hz 5120x1440 DP 1.4 freesync 2 compatible)


I have had this card since a month or two after the series released and have had essentially the same problems. I, like many others have concluded they are software related and am trying to hold out for driver fixes. I have tried every tweak and fix I can find on these forums, and have tried every driver release and have noticed minor changes in behavior, nothing actually fixing the issues. Every time I change drivers I uninstall, then DDU, then do a factory install of the new version when available (this option is not available when installing the Radeon Pro package). 


The 2 main games I play currently are FFXIV and Star Citizen. Lately SC has been much more stable, and crashes while playing FFXIV have increased in frequency. Sometimes the issues are directx related pointing to the amd driver, others it is the driver crashing and restarting itself repeatedly until the system hangs or reboots, others it is the radeon software that crashes and causes a hang or system reboot. 


The closest I came to stable was when using the Q1 Radeon Pro package and leaving everything at default values but the fan curve.


I thought until last night that I may have gotten it to remain stable by using the current 20.2.2 package and disabling everything (freesync, enhanced sync, vsync, surface format optimization, anti-lag, chill, image sharpening, boost, everything that has a slider to turn off including HDCP support (no noticeable difference with anything)). However, that has gone out the window as I have had no less than 6 crashes in the past 3 hours of attempting to game.


My most recent random system reboot occurred while tabbed out of FFXIV and attempting to write this while waiting on a dungeon que and was:


Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version:, time stamp: 0x5e56fc17
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version:, time stamp: 0x5e56fc17
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000408067
Faulting process id: 0x39d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5f2736c7c86d8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Report Id: 7a3964fc-89e5-4c84-b130-9f0a0b0d0c69
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:


The system hung for about 5 seconds then rebooted itself.


Sometimes there will be graphical issues, like flickering, stuttering, split-second full black screens. Sometimes the display will simply blank out while the rest of the system seems to operate normally until I am forced to do a hard reboot because ctrl-win-shift + b does nothing. Sometimes the whole system locks up and does not reboot forcing me to hard-reboot. Other times reloading the driver will get everything back to functional.


As far as I can tell this is a software/driver issue since, in general, hardware issues are much more repeatable and less variable. This is extremely intermittent, there are so many various issues, and it is not purposely repeatable by doing anything other than trying to use the GPU and waiting.


The system passes every stress test and benchmark I throw at it with no issues. I have done numerous multi-pass runs of memtest and long prime95 sessions to rule out memory and cpu issues as well. I have only had one issue while not running a GPU intense activity, and that was the system dropping signal to the monitor after updating to the 20.2.2 package again last night. This was seemingly remedied by a simple reboot and never happened again.


I really don't think this is a hardware issue, and would like to avoid the RMA process if possible since I do not want to be without a PC at all for however long that may take to resolve.


Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what else to try and/or test to fix this? I don't want to hear sell it and go green because that is not an option, and I like to give chances to fix mistakes but this has been out of hand for far too long.