cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jamie1981uk
Adept I

5700xt lighting changes when moving

I really need some help on this. I have a powercolor 5700xt and I'm getting some strange lighting effect when I move either the character or camera. Now at first I thought it was Far cry 5 but it's also happening in Battlefield V. I will link a video so people can see the issue. Things I have done....tried the latest gpu driver (February) and tried rolling back to older ones. I'm playing at 1440p 144hz and tried going down to 1080p 60hz and aslo change the settings from ultra to low. My mobo bios is updated and Windows 10 64bit is on latest update/version. I'm using a Intel i7 8700 Asus h370-f 32gb ddr4 ram with a ocz 750watt psu.l and powercolor 5700xt. All of this is on a Sumsung ssd and the monitor is a Samsung c32jg50. I was using hdmi and currently tried a dp cable to no avail. Last thing I want to do is a format but if it helps, so be it. I heard people updated the gpu bios but I've never tried that but if it's available, will it help? I'm at a total loss. Might be worth noting I have had issues with cubase getting a Bex64 error. Not sure if that's the gpu or it could affect it. Any suggestions?

Far Cry 5 lighting mobile video - YouTube

I had to use my mobile phone to capture the video because screen capture wasn't showing how bad the issue really is. 

0 Likes
12 Replies
jamie1981uk
Adept I

Nothing? No one? 

Since I posted this, I noticed the same issue with Battlefield V so it's not just pinned to one game. I've noticed other people with the same issue. Nothing from AMD? 

0 Likes
alseu
Challenger

Hello
What you are experiencing is related to your panel and not to the graphics card or drivers.
When released these Samsung cXXjg50qqi monitors were the cheapest 1440p 144hz options on the market at cost of panel quality, build quality, lack of adaptive sync and factory colour calibration
This is also a reason why the issue is not that obvious when you record your gamaplay and not the screen itself.

Try to set more "relaxed" pixel response time (overdrive) mode via your monitor's OSD, don't use any built in "gaming" presets (these are usually terrible) and check information for the panel calibration on the internet

Good luck

Thank you for the response. The more I try things the more it is pinned towards the monitor. I hooked the pc up to my TV and was getting almost smooth frames at 2k and 4k but I was more testing the lighting issue and sure enough, it's gone. Why I keep going to Samsung is beyond me and I'm more pissed that I have had the monitor less than 12 months but only got the card in December so I never had 144p 144hz to test. At least I have a nice clean install...... 

0 Likes

After some time and lots of driver updates including bios, chipset, Windows etc.... I'm still having the same issue. I have done a full format and reinstalled Windows and just thr updated drivers and games and still the issue is there. I have tried my TV again and I'm going back on what I said, the flicker is still evident. So my monitor is fine unless my monitor and TV have both got issues which is very unlikely. Done some research and many people have had the same issue. No reply form AMD and none from Powercolor which is very very concerning. 

0 Likes

C32JG50 monitor uses a VA (vertical allignment) panel. VA in general has some advantages and disadvantages, the techonology improves and gets better over time but overall it's weakness is pixel response times, especially the speed of pixel transitions in dark palette. The time that pixel requires to transit off dark colours and back then is usually higher on VA and you can see an effect called ghosting more often with it (but it depends on certain screen). Manufacturers are trying to negate this effect by using pixel response time acceleration which causes some sorts of artifacts (ex.: inverse ghosting) depending on how agressive the acceleration tuning is. 

The effect on your video looks exactly like a consequence of the too agressive pixel response time accel.
There are presets of this "tuning" built in monitors (including yours) which i suggested to play with. 

TVs usually have lower refresh rates and higher response times than gaming monitors which leads to less clean image and more ghosting. Can you please tell the exact name of your TV?

To know exactly i can only suggest to test your gpu with a good known monitor. 

0 Likes

I appreciate the help but I have had my monitor down to its lowest settings and highest but the same thing happens. Let's be honest, the same effect happening on my monitor and my TV doesn't say a lot. I don't remember my old 1060 6gb doing any of this. You also have to consider how many forums and posts have had the exact same issue. Would you really say all this people have poor monitors?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/da3ego/5700_xt_users_getting_brightness_flickering_when/?utm_s...

https://community.amd.com/thread/242557

https://amp.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/cd61ap/rx_5700_xt_flickering_display_when_afterburner_is/

Majority of posts I've come across point towards the clock speeds randomly going up and down. I'm not willing to pay for a new monitor if I need a new gpu which is looking more likely. 

0 Likes

Issues that are described in the posts from these 3 links are of different nature and not related to your specific one.

The first one lies indeed in the monitor quality and is related to the very slight difference in brightness at variable monitor refresh rates which become very noticable when adaptive sync is enabled. I experienced this one myself and back in days it was not an easy task to find a 144hz monitor which wouldn't be overpriced and wouldn't have this problem at the same time.

Second - was the faulty monitor that OP has confirmed later

Third one is related to software compatibility (afterburner's custom fan curve was causing such issues with early Radeon 5000 series drivers, i haven't had it myself but heared about it). 

There are not many options for you unfortunately to test it yourself, the best one would be to ask a friend to help by installing your graphics card into his system (or the other way around) with a well-known monitor. 

Good luck

0 Likes

AOC AGON AG322QC4 with freesync 2 or LG 27GL850? I like the look of the Asus ones but the ones I mentioned see to be thr main ones. 

0 Likes

Between these 2 i would go for 27GL850 despite it being smaller since the AOC model has several flaws (for example: brightness flickering when freesync/g-sync on on both amd and nvidia gpus at certain refresh rate range, potential backlight bleed) and it has significantly lower pixel response times compared to the other monitor

The LG model on the other hand is a very good one.

Do note that HDR capabilities of both screens are a fake and pure marketing and you will not be using HDR on any of these screens on practice.

If you you would prefer having 32 inch 1440p 144hz screen please check the 32GK650F-B, it's definitely a better option than AG322QC4 and also should be a cheaper one.

0 Likes

What about LG 32GK650F or LG 34GL750-B? Scrap that. Just noticed a strange resolution on the last one. Think I'm going with the 32GK650F. I would miss the 32"more than the curve when changing monitors. I would be using for my ps4 and racing wheel so...bigger the better but not 65" bigger. 

0 Likes

32gk650f is a 2560*1440p monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio that is the most common and has broad support. 
34gl750 - 2560*1080p ultrawide monitor with 21:9 aspect ratio, it has lower pixel density. 
Ultrawides are nice in theory, but they are usually more expensive and significantly less popular, it leads to issues where certain applications, services and games don't support 21:9 and you have to watch content with black bars on both sides. Some games being released with a full 21:9 support, some aren't but that can be fixed by messing with config files and certain even newer titles don't support 21:9 at all. 
Personally i would like to go for an ultrawide monitor with 3440*1440p (ultrawide wqhd) if it becomes widely adopted and gets more support overall for all types of content. But for now it's a bit risky to make such recommendation for a person that wants good out of the box experience.

32GK650F-B is something that i used myself (with radeon graphic cards) and can easily recommend

The first LG is certainly more towards what I want and kind of what I'm using now (minus the curve). I use Cubase so I don't want to risk funky resolution with that and other programs that I use. I'll let you know how things go. 

0 Likes