cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

murakameer
Journeyman III

High Temperatures of RX 5700 XT THICC II/2

As in the title my gpu reaches up to 100C and I wanted to ask if its normal. It only happens when I play games that need a good gpu (such as FF15, Modern Warfare etc.)

0 Likes
12 Replies
taurea
Elite

Hi murakameer

Please view this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdSqeWB-p-E&t

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwczmQNHVfo

RMA that card ASAP and get your money back!! if you still can…. Get a Red Devil. It's the best one of the 5700xt's.

AMD should really demand som sort of quality control over board partners to prevent stuff like this to happen. XFX really messed this one up badly and for (with all due respect) AMD takes the blame for it, from people who don't know any better.

Like I said, RMA it quick ! and don't buy Asus Strix either. Asus managed to fail horribly on that too.

Rule of thumb for you mate. Never ever ever ever buy anything without youtube'ing it first.

I asking myself why r they allowed to release a trash gpu like this. most likely I will send it back

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

This is not normal. If possible, open your PC case and see if the graphics card fans are running, while playing games...

0 Likes

they are not running  but Ive heard this gpu has some problems with the fan which can be fixed by bios (but I dont know how theres no tutorial)

0 Likes

okay i looked again and theyre running ! 

0 Likes

The problem will probably not exist while the fans are running. Because your graphics card has good coolers.

0 Likes
tobiashayes
Adept I

Hi murakameer,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with the card.

Before doing anything. Are these temps the GPU Core temp or the GPU Junction(Hot Spot) Temp? 

IF it is the core temp hitting 100C like in this video. XFX RX 5700 XT THICC II Ultra, Looks Good, But Has Issues - YouTube 

Then:

Your card might still be running the old BIOS files that caused these issues when they first shipped. The fans will sometimes not start spinning until the core hits 100C. To fix this without setting up custom fan curves. You might have to flash your BIOS with a new BIOS file provided by XFX themselves.

If you are not comfortable with flashing your BIOS:

I'd recommend getting in touch with XFX support. It is a known issue and they would probably be able to help you. Maybe even have a look at this article. XFX revamps 5700 XT THICC II cooler, offers free replacements to previous design's owners - Neowin . It might be a good idea to just get in contact with them if you still have an older model. 

If you are okay with trying to flash your card BIOS yourself:

Gamers Nexus made a tutorial for flashing a 5600 XT. This would be mostly the same steps followed with your card.

Link: AMD GPU VBIOS Flash Tutorial & Bricked Card Recovery | Unlock Navi Performance - YouTube 

I checked on their website and they do provide the BIOS file in the downloads section on the card's page. They also include a link to the software need to do the flash. Link: XFX-2019 

Key notes:

1. Make sure to backup your BIOS file before continuing and save it somewhere easily accessible. Techpowerup's GPU-Z can be used to do this. Link: TechPowerUp GPU-Z (v2.29.0) Download | TechPowerUp 

2. This card makes use of a BIOS switch. If anything goes wrong. You can switch to the other BIOS to fix any issues.

Hope you get it fixed and happy gaming!

0 Likes

XFX made an absolutely crap produkt. He should definitely NOT keep at and most certainly RMA it.

If he fixes it and keeps it, XFX learns nothing.

@murakameer  I'm sorry, but the product you bought is BAD and that is not on you, that's XFXs' fault! Make sure they learn from it and return the product!

Their sloppiness is taken out on their customers and that is SO not acceptable !

0 Likes

Yes. RMA is also a valid option as you have already stated. RMA process can be very rough outside of the US. I gave other options outside of that. 

I'm pretty sure XFX learned from it. There's an article linked in the initial comment and a bunch of other articles to be found online. They did a lot more than most other companies would have. ASUS with their TUF and Strix cards as prime examples. If I could help the IP before he/she bought a THICC II, I would have.

Have a good day and calm down a bit.  

0 Likes

Could you take a picture and share the physical location of your PC case and card? Have you made changes with WattMan settings? Have you changed the GPU power with WattMan settings? GPU fans spin at what percentage? You may experience similar problems with a different GPU. People with high knowledge on this forum page will surely help you.

0 Likes

its the hot spot which reaches 100-105 C, is it normal or should I really send it back

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

It's sad, almost all 5700 XT models have one issue or another. Most are sloppy and inexcusable!

AMD - Where is your quality control?! your own board partners are making you look bad. Why do you do nothing?

0 Likes