cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

penguinactually
Journeyman III

R5 3600 - Is it normal for temps to go from idle to 80c immediately under test load?

I've just put together a new system which has done my head in with no post's or boot unless I wait 10-20 minutes after turning it off, or attempting a restart. Updating BIOS from 1804 to 2006, but possibly unrelated to this post.

Anyway, now it is running, if I open CPU-Z and run the default stress test (Wanting to compare to their FX 8350 'score'), temps in Ryzen Master and HW Monitor jump from idle, 44-47C to 80C within 1 second and climb about 1C every 10-20 seconds, then I stop the test and it drops back to around idle temps again very quickly.

CPU Fans go to 100% straight away too.

Everything is stock speeds, I don't care about overclocking in the slightest.

Is this normal behavior for these chips? Or could this be an issue with software or the motherboard / CPU?

Upgraded from an old X5650, so not sure if that's how these new chips work. 

Attached should be a 14 second video of what Ryzen Master and HW Monitor do when under load to give a better picture of what I am saying. Idle was up as I was doing other stuff as well in the background.

Thanks

CPU:    Ryzen 5: 3600

COOL: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

MOBO: Asus Prime B450M-A

RAM:    Hyper X 2x 8GB: 3200MHz

GPU:    G1 Gaming GTX 1060 6GB

PSU:    FSP Aurum 650W 80+Gold

0 Likes
2 Replies

Yes that is normal behaviour for that CPU.

I have a Ryzen 3700X with a Wraith Prism cooler and it shoots up to 77c  when performing that same CPU-Z stress test.

Andy

Cool, thanks for the confirmation. Guess it's something make the fans spin up right away under 100% load?

Just looked strange coming from seeing temps creep up over time, not near instantly.

0 Likes