cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

n_francis33
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 3900X on B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

Currently, I have a Ryzen 7 2700X on my MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, but I was wondering if my new Ryzen 9 3900X, which arrives today, will perform to its ability on this motherboard. I know there's the X470 and X570 but these are unaffordable at the moment.

3 Replies

Not really sure what your question is asking but the motherboard you have does support the Ryzen 9 3900X: Support For B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI G... 

Before you install the new Ryzen 9 you need to make sure your Motherboard has BIOS/UEFI version 7B85v17.zip installed. Otherwise it probably won't bootup. Also install the latest CHIPSET Drivers from MSI before updating the BIOS/UEFI.

Also make sure your RAM MEMORY is listed under your Motherboard's QVL list for the Ryzen 9 processor (Matisse): Support For B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI G... 

Most of the B450 boards are working well on Ryzen 5 3x  processors. It varies on the stability when going to Ryzen 7 3x processors especially at the high end as the processor you bought is. Some of those MSi boards are among the best in that many of them exceed the minimum layer and power requirements and do better. So make sure you have the right bios loaded before upgrading as already suggest and that you ram is not only on the QVL but that it is also definitely being assigned the right timings. If you have instability from their talk to MSi for help or get a new motherboard. Hopefully all goes well and you will really enjoy the new processor. I can tell you that the R5 3600 processor works great on my MSi Tomahawk B450 board and your board is a higher quality board than mine. 

0 Likes
DjNk
Journeyman III

did you install this CPU?

hows it run?

i have the same spec MB, and the same idea as you, to run the 3900x on my B450?

0 Likes