Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

duox7142
Adept I

Radeon VII essentially unusable

Greetings all, 

My Radeon VII has given me a rollercoaster of troubleshooting get working in a proper manner. 

I first encountered severe instability in December. Black screen computer crashing. I went ahead and reinstalled, and issues persisted. I cleared all overclocks, RAM, CPU, GPU. I replaced my power supply. I replaced my SSD.

I reinstalled Windows and removed chipset drivers, which seemed to remedy the issue for some time.

Later the issues came back. This time, much quicker black screens. And, if video is playing fullscreen, with a game running on my other monitor, the computer will 100% crash. I then rolled back to 19.5 drivers, which those in the community have said are the most stable. It completely fixed the video issue. For black screens, that worked for a time, for about a month, until last night.

Last night, the drivers would crash and would black screen, while the computer continued to operate. it happened 10-15 minutes apart. Rebooting did not resolve the issue.

I wonder if it was a stock voltage error being too low. I upped the voltage a good amount, and still got the same crashes.

I then decided to try my luck with 20.2 driver. This did not crash in my 30 minutes of testing. I fully expect it to not work eventually and will update when it fails.

I had an RMA for my card, but in the month after filing it, it had worked without issue. I decided to keep my card and so the RMA has lapsed. Issues came back after the RMA timeframe. 

AMD, I'm a big fan of you guys, and I root for the underdog. But to have complete instability on your once flagship graphics card is inexcusable. Having consumers who purchased your top-of-the-line product do regression test is equally unacceptable.

Still, I am determined to get this fixed. I'm completely willing to work side-by-side anyone in support to get this resolved. Just let me know step-by-step procedure to regression test and give the data back to AMD support. 

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Power Efficiency is missing from the VII, I'm still waiting for a reply from AMD with any information on this.

I've tried many regedits, makes no difference. 

Its an absolute joke.

Without the Power Efficiency option the VII is a dud.

0 Likes
zidake
Journeyman III

I have the same issue like OP described, though there are days where nothing happens and other days where a black screen accures every 15 min even in windows when nothing is happening. No game, no youtube, nothing. Just idle mode in windows and all of a sudden the screens are going black. I tried to return the card to the shop where I bought it but they wont take it back since they cant reproduce this issue. No wonder because they only check if it boots and maybe do a little benchmark. Nothing happens in this short timeline..

So what are we supposed to do? Always hoping the next driver will fix it but thats not happening..

trek
Elite

How old are your components and what PSU and CPU do you have?

0 Likes