cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sealancer
Journeyman III

3950x not hitting max boost even after enabling PBO

My 3950x  single core boost is not  going any where near max 4.7ghz.      I have updated to the latest 1.0.0.4 bios and enabled PBO in the bios.  Temps are consistently around 60c during idle.    Cinebench scores for single core is less than 500 and so is the case with cpuz as well.  

System specs : 

Asrock x370 taichi

32gb 3333mhz corsair. 

Windows 10 , 1903pastedImage_1.jpg

pastedImage_3.jpg

pastedImage_1.jpgpastedImage_2.jpg

Ironically my overclocked 1700 shows better single thread score on the same mobo & ram.

pastedImage_3.jpg

0 Likes
11 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

sealancer, you should not need PBO to hit the maximum boost.  Please stop running all the side applications and run Ryzen Master (RM) only.  Open Settings-Apps and remove all that are installed, especially MB vendor ones.  Run Clear CMOS, reboot and try single core Cinebench.  Make sure nothing else is running such as browsers (one other core is running over 1300MHz) and post a screenshot of RM complete - top to bottom.  What is your CPU cooler and complete version of W10 including patch (use WinVer in command prompt)  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.  

CPU cooler: Dark Pro 4.    (temps are ok ,   at the best it hits 84C during the Cinebench test)

Windows ver: Window 10, 1903 (OS Build 18362.592)

Stopped all the side applications including anti-virus, cleared the cmos and ran the test.   The single thread score managed to squeak past 500 but frequency response dint change much.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

sealancer, I cannot read your screenshot.  Please do it again and this time post ONLY the RM screenshot from top to bottom.  I have seen plenty of CB shots.  WHAT: ..."squeak past 500...".  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

single_core21_bmp.bmp

0 Likes

sealancer, not bad but not there.  Your memory clock is 1067 MHZ, meaning memory is running at 2133 MHz.  The Clear CMOS did that, so set the XMP and let's see what you get.  I cannot tell what memory speed you were running.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi John,

I did a run after changing the  xmp setting to run at rated speed,  got a score of 494 for single thread and 9200 odd for multi-thread.   As such scores more or less remain the same.

As said at the beginning this is not just about the score but the core speed not going any where near the stated max boost frequency of 4.7ghz  they just hover around 4.5ghz.  I have never seen at any point of time RM show peak frequency of at-least 4.6ghz which is a bit concerning.  It more or less makes my cpu look like a 3900x with extra cores.

Thanks

GP

0 Likes

Sorry, sealancer.  I recommend you open an AMD Online Support Request.  Some MB vendors have released AGESAs beyond 1.0.0.4.  I have seen 1.0.0.4B - do not know if this is significant.  Be sure to tell AMD your AGESA version.  Please let us hear what you learn.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Given you are using an X370 motherboard would explain some of the problems.

The better X570 motherboards are much better suited to the R9 processors which are late to the party. 

Check to be sure the motherboards has good regulators as some tend to cut corners to keep the prices down.

0 Likes

I have x370 taichi, it has enuf juice to power 3950x but bios is different thing altogether.   It has just 16MB ROM which might not have enuf space to accommodate all the new features of  third gen procs.

0 Likes

sealancer wrote:

I have x370 taichi, it has enuf juice to power 3950x but bios is different thing altogether.   It has just 16MB ROM which might not have enuf space to accommodate all the new features of  third gen procs.

The X570 platform has double the size BIOS chip to accommodate the AGESA tables better

0 Likes
banananaboy
Journeyman III

Hi,

I have the same problem, my cpu is not boosting above 4.3mhz

Mobo: ASUS Crossfire VIII Hero WIFI

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i Pro AIO Cooler

Ram: G.Skill Trident Neo Z 64GB 4x16 3200mhz

Windows 10 v1909 (latest as of Mar 3, 2020)

BIOS Version: 1302 (latest: Mar 3, 2020)

AMD Chipset Drivers (latest: Jan 16 2020)

AMD AGESA Version: Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4

Steps already performed:

1) Uninstalled all software, made sure nothing else was running (including mobo vendor's ASUS Armoury Crate)

2) Disabled Antivirus

3) Cleared CMOS

4) Enabled XMP

5) Ran Cinebench R15 Single Core

pc specifications.png

Even with nothing running it was not boosting above 4.3. What gives??

0 Likes