cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rjo
Journeyman III

Defective Cores in Ryzen 3950x

My computer was stable for a month after installing a new Ryzen 3950x processor. It randomly rebooted a few days ago and it would get stuck in an infinite reboot cycle while trying to boot Windows. It was stable enough to enter the BIOS but it would crash if it tried to boot into Windows. Using a  Windows repair disk or even a Linux USB drive saw the same behavior. When I tried to install Linux I saw a brief error message flash before it rebooted, "[Hardware Error]: CPU 6 : Machine Check: 0 Bank 6 :baa0000000"

After a lot of troubleshooting (trying new power supply, memory) the system only boots into Windows after disabling 8 cores (2 CCXs?) in the BIOS. This only gives me 8 cores out of 16. It also didn't boot with 12 cores.

Is my CPU truly defective?

0 Likes
3 Replies

check for a BIOS update

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

rjo, I recommend you contact AMD Online Support.  This is a user forum and seldom does a real live AMD person post.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Yup, already posted the issue to online support but no response yet. I'll try to call to expedite the likely RMA process.

BTW the BIOS was updated to the latest 'F11' firmware on the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Extreme motherboard and no difference. Half the cores must be disabled or it won't work.

0 Likes