cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jessel
Journeyman III

Does 4 sticks of high speed memory stress a R-9 3950x memory controller like it apparently did with older AMD CPUs?

You read so much about it but it. If it ever was true is it still true with the X570 Godlike with a 3950X? 

I'm looking at 32-64 MB of C14 ram and am wondering if two or four sticks is better. I want it to run good at 3200. 

0 Likes
11 Replies

Need to look at your motherboard's QVL List for RAM Memory for the 3rd generation Processors.

The list will tell you how many sticks are compatible to be installed for your processor and its native Motherboard RAM speed. Also whether you can Overclock the Ram or not.

I've done that but still wonder if what you read about 2 or 4 memory sticks is true with the newest AMD Ryzen CPUs. It's like people think four sticks saturates the dual channel memory lanes. I've not got a definitive answer yet.

0 Likes
jessel
Journeyman III

It seems the 2 or 4 module discussion centers around if the memory architecture is t-topology or daisy chain, with t-topology allegedly handling full memory slots better than daisy chain. The X-570 Godlike is daisy chain but apparently not traditional daisy chain, it's "fully" daisy chained whatever that means.

The X570 boards are optimized for higher memory frequencies with most of them running at 4400MHz at the very least. The DRAM wiring has been improved, adopting the fully Daisy Chained design instead of the traditional T type Daisy Chain style. This enhances the overall memory overclocking capability as well as the compatibility.

https://www.techquila.co.in/amd-x570...cking-5100mhz/

Here's an example of someone saying 2x modules is optimal.

4 DIMM slots, daisy chain. (2x8 or 2x16 optimal)

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...ke_it/erbejgm/

There more in that discussion about 2 vs 4, it's a discussion about the X570 Godlike board.

4 DIMM slots, daisy chain. (2x8 or 2x16 optimal)

What's up with that? On a board this overpriced, I see two reasonable avenues.

1. Anyone who buys this wants the best and will populate all slots; use T.
  2. Anyone who buys this is chasing clocks over all common sense, and knows what they're asking for. Use 1-slot-per-channel to avoid reflections.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...ke_it/erblfgj/

People say this but never seem to definitively say why! And if it's still true with the newest CPUs and mother boards.

Where I work we have myths that developed over time. People believe them to be true with out thinking about it. That's what this "2 is better on daisy chain memory" allegation looks like to me, especially as it relates to the newest processors and motherboards. If there are four slots you fill them up - that's what I'd think. Otherwise it's like putting a two barrel carb on a four barrel intake and thinking the car is going to run faster! Doesn't make sense.

0 Likes

I use 4 sticks of RAM routinely and the AMD CPU can handle it fine

best bet is 4 of the same memory so that the memory controller has it easy

Thank you!!

0 Likes

jessel wrote:

Thank you!!

I have used 2 different pairs of memory but I have experience with custom timings etc.

I have lots of DDR4 memory in the shop

0 Likes
mccharle
Elite

Hello,

I can give my point of view.

I have a 3950X, MEG X570 Godlike and 2 kits of GSKILL DDR4-3600 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN (4 sticks 16MB).

Each kit works perfectly at max speed but with the 4 sticks, it's not possible to reach  3600MHz @ 1.35V.

I've tried few ways with no luck, the only way to work with all sticks was to down manually to 3533MHz @ 1.35V.with A-XMP enable.

Really Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks double sided.

mccharle wrote:

Hello,

I can give my point of view.

I have a 3950X, MEG X570 Godlike and 2 kits of GSKILL DDR4-3600 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN (4 sticks 16MB).

Each kit works perfectly at max speed but with the 4 sticks, it's not possible to reach  3600MHz @ 1.35V.

I've tried few ways with no luck, the only way to work with all sticks was to down manually to 3533MHz @ 1.35V.with A-XMP enable.

Really Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks double sided.

I have 4 sticks of DDR4-3200 on my R5 3600 running fine. I know my CPU can not use faster memory without adversely affecting the internal timing for the infinity bus used in the Ryzen logic.

G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200, 2 sets of 2 sticks and it works fine in dual channel mode.

I have 4x8GB to have 32GB and it is stable on my MSI X570-A PRO

0 Likes

I understood that four sticks had to be a matched set of four, not two sets of two. That's probably why very few sets of four are listed on the MSI QVL.

I ended up with two 16s, GSkil F4-3200C14D-32GTRS. 

0 Likes

I was lucky to get 2 sets that work together fine. I have intentionally rotated them and they work in all permutations. The timing is the same for them all so I expect that the Samsung B-die RAM chips are popular for a reason.

0 Likes
mccharle
Elite

Try the new bios 1.92, for me all works fine now with my 4 sticks at max speed !

0 Likes