cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

adamc33
Adept I

Issue with new driver with RX 480

I have been having issue with all drivers newer than 19.9.3, the only issue I have with 19.9.3 is relive doesn't work, but any new drivers I have artifacting whenever I close or leave a game to the desktop only way to stop it is to restart the computer, I don't have any artifacts in-game only when I close the game or quite to desktop. I had no issues in 19.9.3 or before other than relive didn't always work, but never had any artifacting.

The current drivers I'm on it 20.1.3 and still having the artifacting when leaving games.

12 Replies

I have a Sapphire RX 480 8GB and I have to use DDU frequently with the new drivers of late.

It seems that with every new driver I need to DDU out the old one

0 Likes

I have a sapphire nitro 4gb 480 every update i get unstable isntallations,like 20.x.x gave me perma black screen,had to go to safe mode and roll back

0 Likes

The 20.1.4 drivers are out and you might wish to try them if you are wanting newer drivers. They fix many issues that existed in the first few 2020 drivers. No idea if it fixes this issue or not. If they don't work you need to report the issue to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form , so they are aware of the issue and regress to a driver that works, as you have already been doing. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

The 20.1.4 drivers are out and you might wish to try them if you are wanting newer drivers. They fix many issues that existed in the first few 2020 drivers. No idea if it fixes this issue or not. If they don't work you need to report the issue to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form , so they are aware of the issue and regress to a driver that works, as you have already been doing. 

The last 2 drivers caused BSOD problems so I used DDU and installed 19.12.2

Hi Pokester,

The 20.1.4 haven't made much of a different, still having the same issue.

0 Likes

adamc33 wrote:

Hi Pokester,

The 20.1.4 haven't made much of a different, still having the same issue.

I recommend keeping DDU handy and experiment with some of the older drivers and see if one works better while world+dog await the next driver offering

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. All you can do is regress to a previous driver if one did work that is and report the issue to AMD and hope for a future fix. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

20.2.1 is now available and so far it has not BSODed my rig yet

I have tried, 20.2.1,  and a new windows install because I have just got a new ryzen CPU and they were some improvement, but I was still having the same issue. I was reading into the reason why artifacting happen and something I found was about how some programs goto full screen can cause it with some drivers, so I tested changing the in-game setting to put some of the worse games into fullscreen windowed mode for call of duty MW and Overwatch and now not having any artifacts when leaving or quitting games. This could be a workaround, for now, my frame rate is a bit lower in this mode.

0 Likes

adamc33 wrote:

I have tried, 20.2.1,  and a new windows install because I have just got a new ryzen CPU and they were some improvement, but I was still having the same issue. I was reading into the reason why artifacting happen and something I found was about how some programs goto full screen can cause it with some drivers, so I tested changing the in-game setting to put some of the worse games into fullscreen windowed mode for call of duty MW and Overwatch and now not having any artifacts when leaving or quitting games. This could be a workaround, for now, my frame rate is a bit lower in this mode.

Sometimes when drivers reset after a game quits is seen. generally this occurs when a game is played at a different resolution than the main desktop.

if this is happening at the native resolution then I would look at possibly memory loading is slow to refresh

I have 32GB of RAM so my box is relatively bottleneck free

0 Likes

The resolution is the same on the top desktop and in game 1080p to my knowledge, and I have gotten some new ram (DDR4 16gbs 3200) and had the same issue on the old ram. 

0 Likes

what make/model motherboard are you using

0 Likes