cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

michelio
Adept I

GTA 5 problem with reflection MSAA

Hello! In GTA V, setting "Reflection MSAA" setting to X2, X4 or X8 results in broken reflections, car still reflecting the ground (see attachment).

1) Rearview mirror reflection:

gta1.png

2) Car reflection:

gta2.png

3) Sun still reflecting on car:

gta3.png

4) Chrome looks matte, but floor still reflecting on car:

gta4.png

Hardware: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: Corsair DDR4-3600 16384MB Vegeance LPX Black

Board: MSI B450 Tomahawk max

GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 xt Nitro+

Software:

Game Ver: latest

Driver: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.4

1 Solution
michelio
Adept I

0 Likes
18 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I suggest you to share this link with AMD technical service department with this... https://www.amd.com/tr/support/contact-email-form 

swagnamite1337
Journeyman III

I may be late, but I know the problem hasn't been fixed: about a year ago I submitted a ticket to Rockstar about this exact issue. Basically, Reflection MSAA in GTAV doesn't work (you'll just get plain black reflections and puddles) for AMD GPUs (Vega56/64 or newer) and they are not planning to fix it.

jl5086
Elite

I definitely noticed this immediately after getting my RX5700XT, took a while to figure it out.  Not only that, but, I really was disappointed after trying GTA V after upgrading from an RX 580 to this card, since I really expected a next gen card, with DDR6 memory to at least be able to maintain a steady 60fps at 1080p, but nope, it's not thermal throttling (fan is set to 100% and temps are below 70) but still the clocks drop right down and demand goes up, and the card just takes a dump.  Even when the fps drops from 60 to 58 (with v-sync, because EVERY game tears to pieces without it) it stutters like CRAZY, since the frame times go up to more than 20ms.  Maybe it's just a crappy ported game issue, but I really thought a 3rd gen Ryzen (3600 @4.1ghz), 32gb of 3200mhz ram, and an RDNA GPU, would be able to satisfy me with a non stuttering 60fps at 1080p.  Maybe I'm wrong, but, I would think if this GPU would maybe hold it's clock up to 1900-2100mhz it might do a little bit better, but it just seems way TOO eager to drop its clocks for no apparent reason, since the temps are still really low.  I've complained, and tried to get answers to this, but, nothing at all has been done about this.  I've ALWAYS bought nothing but AMD components, but unfortunately now I am really getting convinced I should have given Nvidia a shot this time around.

If you do not use a adaptive-sync supported monitor so FreeSync monitor, stuttering or tearing will occur according to games vsync settings. Also, if GTA5 performance of the new NAVI GPU does not satisfy you, this is probably due to the game's Radeon driver lack of optimization. Do not maximize the graphic details of GTA5. Also buy a FreeSync panel of 144 hertz if possible. Also, as with nVidia, don't try to fix everything to 60 FPS with vsync. Because, like nVidia driver, Radeon driver does not contain force-vsync feature and using vsync creates stuttering.

The best use for AMD is a 144 hertz FreeSync monitor. The game's vsync setting should be turned off and with AMD Chill, the game's maximum FPS value should be fixed to a value below 144 FPS (for example: to 120 FPS for 144 hertz), resulting in a very smooth gaming experience.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the post, i have filed a ticket with driver engineering to investigate this behaviour. 

I have turned off the MSAA Reflection and still have the bug i have the reflections but still a plain mate black texture under it,

Specs: Ryzen 5 3600

Gigabyte RX 5600XT (WINDFORCE OC 6G 2fans)

0 Likes

Hi, I was having your same problem with similar hardware (Ryzen 3700x and Radeon 5700XT) and I fixed the issue by switching from DirectX 11 to DirectX 10 or 10.1.  This setting is found in Settings>Graphics>DirectX Version.  I hope this helps.

0 Likes

I had the same problem. The solution I found was disable all MSAA (MSAA Reflex and MSAA Filtering)  settings and set reflex quality to higher. I have a RX 5500 XT and the game looks amazing.

If you need a video to see it, just let me know.

Regards.

this is still on going especially you guys new optional drivers

0 Likes

This issue is still occuring in 23.4.3 on my 7900xtx 5950x system, any chance it can be looked at again

0 Likes
michelio
Adept I

FIXED in 21.1.1

0 Likes

Ohh so i need the optional version of AMD Software well ill try it ty for telling us !

0 Likes

Well, even with updates and all recommendation it still dont work (I can't go to Direct X 10.01 or 10)

Works fine for me. Try to reinstall your drivers or I don't even know.

0 Likes
Don_Gotti502
Adept I

Crazy part this still going on especially on the new Adrenalin 22.8.1 Optional drivers 

Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL) drivers does not 

0 Likes

Hi i have this problem with my 6700xt on 22.10.03 Can you help me?

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Journeyman III

Well this is still happening now for me on GTA V v1.64 (with NVE mod) using latest version of AMD driver with an RX 6950XT...is there any fix I ight have missed ?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi @Matt_AMD 

Seems like many users are still facing these Reflections issues with AMD cards when MSAA is on on GTA V. Any chance you take this issue again to the Engineers team please ?

Thank you

SuissoNaBisso