cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ben-rogue
Adept I

Radeon Software won't open

So I've been having a problem, among many others with Radeon Software, where it'll be running in the system tray but when I try to open it nothing happens. If I open it from the right-click on desktop I get a blank unresponsive window. Forcing it closed in task manager and reopening does not work. A system restart might make it work, but it'll stop working at a random time later on. It's not displaying any issue in Windows Reliability History either, unless I force it closed:

The program RadeonSoftware.exe version 10.1.2.1788 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 3f60
Start Time: 01d5d1da0d4a5bf5
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSoftware.exe
Report Id: 3b5c6afc-fdef-4ac8-80b1-3a74b3beaf8b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

I've tried rolling back to an older version, clean install, using DDU (had to for another issue anyway). Anyone have any suggestions? Running Win10 Home with a 5700 XT Pulse

13 Replies
toetje583
Journeyman III

Hello,

Add me tho the list, 

Proces-id: d34
Starttijd: 01d5d4851678ea75
Eindtijd: 4294967295
Toepassingspad: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSoftware.exe
Rapport-id: b19204ce-5c4c-42d0-a9e0-e1f5adebab94
Volledige pakketnaam met fout:
Relatieve toepassings-id van pakket met fout:
Type vastlopen: Top level window is idle

This started to happen on 20.1.3

Best Regards,

Toetje

0 Likes

I managed to get it to work again after multiple attempts to roll back to older versions, the only one that seemed to work right is 19.12.3. Don't want to update out off fear of it happening again. So for now I'll just deal with this versions bugs (normal Wattman and fan profile reset bug). Hey. at least now my old very mild under-volt works again and doesn't result in an instant driver crash when playing games!

I like AMD products, but their software is a roulette wheel of bugs! I'm seriously considering sinning and buying an Nvidia card next gen, getting very tired of these endless bugs AMD!

0 Likes
joecrow
Elite

Same here, have not tried 20.1.4 yet but all other 20.*.* have the same issue for me. It always fails for me after putting the PC in sleep or hibernate but only if Media Portal (an HTPC app.) was active. I do not see the problem with the 19.8.2 (the newest 19* I had available).

On the other hand a couple of very intermittent problems that I have had for ages on resume from sleep (black screen, os crash etc) seem to be fixed with the new 20* versions, so I'm leaving it installed, rebooting fixes for me at least until I use sleep again.

Win 10 Pro x64 (1909) RX 570.

0 Likes
reload050
Adept I

I got the same issue, but I can re open it when I close it through the task manager. This is just not really convenient, and this happens after quiting a game only, if I try to open it after gaming

0 Likes

go get DDU and wipe clean all the old drivers and try 20.1.4 fresh

0 Likes
joecrow
Elite

20.2.2 Fixes this for me!

0 Likes

I weirdly managed to get things working with versions above 20.X.X oddly after resetting my 2700X under-volt to factory defaults. I had a fairly safe undervolt, but I guess something was causing problems with this. I still can't get ANY under-volt to stick on my 5700XT, even with extensive bench-marking and stress testing. It always resets for some reason a day or two later. Figured I'll stick to completely default settings on everything for both my 2700X and 5700XT with only custom fan curves, seems pretty stable now though.

I do have concerns with what Windows 10 is doing with the AMD Balanced power plan though, as Windows randomly decides to change my settings. I've seen it change my screen time off from 10min to 20min a dozen times at least, disabling disk spin-down countless times, as well as changing my PCI-e power saving settings and even switching plans entirely. AMD need to get on MS's case about not screwing around with stuff they shouldn't. I'm sure half the problems are Microsofts doing.

0 Likes
momaz
Journeyman III

I am having the same problem on version 20.2.2 it's just an unresponsive window when i try to open the software any solutions for that? Windows 7 btw

yesdaniel
Journeyman III

+1 here. Same problem. Unresponsive window, can't open settings. This is an old problem that happened even on my previous PC.

0 Likes

20.5.1 is the current driver and it is stable

0 Likes
chalupaking
Adept I

This just started happening to me as well. Very weird. Any solutions?

MB : MSI MEG X570 Unify
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT (Matisse)(Zen 2 Series)
RAM: 16 GiB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (2 x 8 GiB)
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 14 Gbps 6 GiB (Adrenalin 20.9.2)
PSU: Seasonic 600W Prime Titanium Fanless

0 Likes

chalupaking wrote:

This just started happening to me as well. Very weird. Any solutions?

MB : MSI MEG X570 Unify
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT (Matisse)(Zen 2 Series)
RAM: 16 GiB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (2 x 8 GiB)
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 14 Gbps 6 GiB (Adrenalin 20.9.2)
PSU: Seasonic 600W Prime Titanium Fanless

check for a BIOS update

0 Likes
kaminari
Adept II

More probably related to https://community.amd.com/thread/257326 

[Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 32 GB | Win10 Pro]