AnsweredAssumed Answered

Corrupted Boot Files/Black Screen when installing AMD APU Drivers or Windows Auto Updater

Question asked by irdsdanny on Jan 14, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 15, 2020 by irdsdanny

Hi Everyone, 

I've browsed the forum many times but unfortunately find myself in the position I need to ask for some help/advice! 

Small back story, I was given a budget at work to buy/build a new pc for myself of £350, a small budget but my requirements are very low, this is just a desktop PC I use from time to time for mundane tasks. so I opted for the following - 

APU - AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Gen2 (Socket AM4)
MoBo - MSI A320M-A PRO MAX MOTHERBOARD

RAM - HyperX FURY 8GB (2x 4GB) 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

SSD - Kingston A400 480GB 2.5" SSD Solid State Drive

PSU - Aerocool Integrator 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Non-Modular PSU Power Supply
OS - Windows 10 (latest version available boot creation tool)

I took all components home to install in an old case I have and almost instantly hit issues, whenever microsoft auto installs updates, I get the all too common black screen and what looks to be corrupted boot files.

It feels like i've tried a million things from fresh installs to reformatting the SSD and completely starting fresh, I tried the DDU in safe-mode + installation of the driver with no internet also with no luck. 

One thing I find particularly strange is when the PC is booted into safe-mode it's incredibly stable and the Device Manager's Display Adapters section shows Vega 8 Graphics, yet in 'Normal' mode all hell breaks loose, the Display Adapter shows as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Any ideas would be amazing because whilst it's not a 'important' PC for me work wise, I am getting moaned at by those above me at where my PC is and why i'm not using it! 

Thanks again in advance.

Outcomes