cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Windows 7 Updates last chance reminder.

Reminder:

Windows 7 EOL = January 14 2020.

If anyone is intending on keeping an active version of Windows 7 for desktop PC or Laptop for legacy software support or other reasons you will need to run Windows 7 Updates today to make sure you get all of the final updates for non business users. Make sure you run a full system backup, set a restore point and then check for updates. 

You might want to download and install latest optional features like language packs as well.

I am keeping one PC and one Laptop with an Active version of Windows 7 Ultimate.
If you are running AMD GPUs then I advise you install Adrenalin 2019 19.1.1 if your desktop/laptop supports it and forget Adrenalin 2020 completely, but it is up to you.

It is likely that many users are still running Windows 7, and do not want to use Windows 10. 
I do not know what the solution will be for them if they are on AMD GPUs as there is no driver GUI for alternative OS like Ubuntu/Linux.

Bye.

15 Replies

It's still possible to use your Windows 7 key for Windows 10.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/rip-windows-7-upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

Still, it's going to be interesting to see how long AMD, nVidia, and other software developers support Windows 7. Google said they'll still support 7 though July 2021, Mozilla hasn't announced a date for Firefox, but considering they supported XP through 2017, there's probably little reason to think they'll drop it before Google, and little reason to believe either will drop it before Microsoft ends their paid updates.

According to this Website - still lots of people using Windows 7.
Desktop Windows Version Market Share Worldwide | StatCounter Global Stats 

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

windows 10 is still taking 7 and 8 keys

0 Likes

I would also bet that many people "upgraded to Windows 10 for free" but cloned their Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 drives first.
That means many may have  have Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 in operation at once on the same PC.
It must be very difficult to tell who is running which OS in reality.

0 Likes

Especially when it comes to Steam's survey.

GoSquared as well.

Both sources really show that difficulty, since there is a steady trend up for 10 and down for 7 and 8, there's large spikes month to month.

the spikes are due to different users on steam at any given time 

0 Likes

Thats really interesting - a +14.93% shift to Windows 7 according to Steam.
Maybe it was people slotting in their Windows 7 drive and running updates early.
I completed updating my Laptop and PC Windows 7 OS.
It took quite a long time and there were many "Update Loops"  ie. run the update check  apply the 2 or 3 updates. reboot, check again, it asks to install 43... etc.
I did update both drives early December so it looks like there are many patches pushed out for the final update.

0 Likes

It is possible with Steam, since the others go off of website hits, and if Steam stops working, as it did with Windows XP in 2019 due to Chrome dropping XP support, you can't access your games. The others go off website hits, and it's unlikely that if you're patching Windows 7 you'll be browsing the web at the same time, since like you said Windows 7 requires multiple reboot cycles.

Also, perhaps it's just coincidental timing, quite likely not, but Microsoft will issue a security update today to fix a gargantuan security issue, a large enough issue that the NSA is holding a conference about it. Will Windows 7 users get it who aren't on extended paid support? We shall see.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-expected-to-patch-a-serious-security-bug-affecting-all-windows-versions-today

Thanks for letting me know about that one.

0 Likes

They announced at the conference that it only affects Windows 10, not Windows 7.

0 Likes

I have been aware of the defect in crypt32.dll for quite some time.

I have my own code library so I am not reliant on any questionable software. Windows is not open source.

I also am aware of a serious error in Ryzen 3000 processors for random numbers which is why I did not buy one. I am hoping the 4000 series will be fixed so that true random numbers can be created more easily.

0 Likes

NetMarketShare reflects much the same. Honestly it's not the apocalypse that Microsoft makes it out to be since really the largest threats are ransomware and malware, and really the only way to protect against them are to do your internet browsing in an isolated VM, or to use Linux. Second to those are security vulnerabilities in internet browsers and other software, and again those don't matter if you're using 7, 8, or 10 for the next few years.

https://www.wccftech.com/end-of-an-era-1-in-4-computers-are-still-running-windows-7/

Like XP before it, there will be lots of laggards

I have windows 10 running on an Intel Q6600 stuffed into a Acer E700 machine, works fine

0 Likes

Just in case you are hit by this Windows 7 problem...
A glitch is preventing some Windows 7 PCs from shutting down or rebooting | PC Gamer 

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Just in case you are hit by this Windows 7 problem...
A glitch is preventing some Windows 7 PCs from shutting down or rebooting | PC Gamer 

There are other problems but they can be eliminated by upgrading to Windows 10.

This has been all over twitter and reddit now.

0 Likes