We recently invested in a server for the sole purpose of solving engineering simulations in Simulia Abaqus (FEA). This server was to be an upgrade to our existing server. For the types of simulations we do, the time required for the simulations scale inversely with the number of cores. We went from 6 cores on a CPU released in 2014 to 32 cores on a CPU released in 2017 and were expecting to realize ~5x increase in speed (solve in 20% of the time). However, we've only realized about 2x increase in speed (solving in 50% of the time). This is much slower than we were expecting.
As a test, we ran the same simulation in the same version of the software on new and old server using 6 cores for both. The new server took 15.5 hrs to solve, while the old server took just 6 hrs to solve (again, both using 6 cores). For this test, we expected the new server to solve in ~6 hrs.
We're hoping to get some help to determine why this is the case and if/how we can speed things up.
New System Specs:
Dell Poweredge R7425
CPUs: 2x Epyc 7351 (16C/32T)
RAM: 192GB DDR4 2666 (12x 16GB)
OS Storage: 480GB SATA SSD
Data Storage: 1.6TB NVMe SSD
OS: CentOS 7.7 (we've tried multiple kernels including 3.10)
PSU: Redundant 1100W (1+1)
Old System Specs:
CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2643v3 (6C/12T)
RAM: 128GB DDR4 1600 (8x 16GB)
OS Storage: 250GB SATA SSD
Data Storage: 2TB SAS HDD
OS: Windows Server 2012