cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

iplugnplay
Journeyman III

3000g nvme m.2

This cpu supports m.2 pcie 3 4x  nvme drives?

I have a Samsung PM961, that isn't being recognized in a setup with athlon 3000g.

0 Likes
11 Replies

Does your motherboard state PCIe M.2 support with your lowest end Athlon processor? Most do not, or limit them to SATA mode only. Look at your motherboard specification page under Storage, you will see something like this

0 Likes

Ok so if I see read this correct:

In order for pci 3.0 x4 to work, I would need a 2nd or 1st gen ryzen etc. 
And in that setup I can still have other sata storage or no? 

Opera Momentopname_2020-01-06_175125_www.asus.com.png

0 Likes

Yes, for it to work as an M.2 NVMe SSD then you need to use a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series, non G processor.

0 Likes
frutchy
Journeyman III

It is not as simple as that.
At least, it is on my Gigabyte A320M-H motherboard.

The manual states: 
"Supports only M.2 SATA SSDs when using an AMD 7th Generation A-series or Athlon™ processor."
That said, The M.2 NVMe SSD works fine if this board is equiped with an Athlon 200GE or a Ryzen 3 3200G.
The first one is an Athlon, the second a last generation Ryzen and both are "G".
The ONLY processor which leaves the NVMe SSD unrecognized is the Athlon 3000G. 
Where is the logic?

0 Likes
mordekar
Journeyman III

My MoBo is an Asrock A320M-HDV R4.0 and the specs says the following:

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with A-Series APU and Athlon 2xxGE series APU)*

So now you need to be smart to find out which applies here. 3000G is told to be in the Picasso family, but it is also close to Athlon 2xxGE series. So I connected a PCIE3x2 module that suitable to both.

0 Likes

I bought a NGFF M.2 NVMe to PCIe 4x adaptor board and put that with the NVMe SSD in the PCIe x16 slot which anyhow doesn't make much sense when you are using an APU.

In this setup, the Athlon 3000G adresses the NVMe in PCIe 3.0 x4 mode and the SSD reaches full speed (even up to 6000 Mb/s in sequential read when the Momentum Cache is activated, see attached images).
And this setup also works with an old 7th generation Athlon A6-9500. In fact, it works with all AMD processors. 
Conclusion: The problem of the Athlon 3000G not recognizing any NVMe when directly attached to the M.2 slot on the motherboard really seems to be specific to this processor or, perhaps better expressed, the way this processor is discovered by the various brands of motherboards through the AGESA code.

I asked Gigabyte for a BIOS update but it might be more a job for AMD to come up with some corrected AGESA code.
Athlon 3000G, 2x 4 Go @2400(7) cache ON.JPG

Interesting to notice, independently of what processor you have or what setup (NVMe on motherboard or add-in card), when the Momentum Cache is activated, the NVMe not only is MUCH faster, but also stays much cooler!
Below, same setup with Momentum Cache deactivated.
Athlon 3000G, 2x 4 Go @2400(8) cache OFF.JPG

0 Likes

My setup (Asrock A320M-HDV R4.0 + Athlon 3000G) works with this one: INTEL Optane 16GB PCIE 3.0  (MEMPEK1J016GA01)

0 Likes

If your Intel SSD is directly attached to the motherboard NGFF connector, this would mean that recognition of NVMe SSDs by this Athlon 3000G would depend on the brand and type? Interesting!

0 Likes

The low cost Athlon processors are more aimed at the low end of the market. They support SATA SSD products and they are available at low cost.

My R5 2400G is able to support PCIe SSD products which gives it a leg up on the earlier processors. It also supports a discrete card if it is installed.

My newer R5 3600 is more focused on a discrete video card with more cores and L3 cache etc.

The Athlon 3000 like the 200GE etc are designed as an entry level APU. You get what you pay for using a $50 processor.

0 Likes

This is not what the discussion is about.
The discussion is about the strange fact that the Athlon 200GE DOES support NGFF SSDs and the Athlon 3000G, its successor, DOESN'T.

0 Likes
frutchy
Journeyman III

Well, I guess this is the end of the story:

I got this answer from AMD support:

"Dear Ronald,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200941928]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the response.

I got an update that the issue is due to the latest Zen+ CPU architectural compatibility with the older 320A chipset motherboard. These latest CPU will work with the older chipset motherboard with limited features support with specific make and model. Here I request you to please continue to use by using the external add in card or please upgrade to the latest chipset motherboards. I hope you understand

Thanks for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

Tarun

AMD Global Customer Care"

I am still waiting for an answer from Gigabyte support, but chances are little.

0 Likes