AnsweredAssumed Answered

Crimson Beta 16.2.1 bricked HD 5970?! Computer beeps

Question asked by rucko on Jan 4, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 5, 2020 by mstfbsrn980

Hello Everyone,

I got handed down a Monitor that finally supports Displayport and installed the Crimson Beta 16.2.1. on my old (ca. 2010) Desktop with a Radeon HD 5970. So far everything worked just fine with my PC. But new year - new (beta) drivers.

When the installer asked me to restart the problems started:

The computer only returned 1 long and 2 short beeps and didn't post anything anymore. On my mobile I found that this ususally means that there is a problem with the graphics card and that it sometimes helps to activate Legacy Support in Bios. So I turned off the PC via the power button and started it right up again while pressing the DEL button to get into Bios - this worked just fine. PC posted and restarted afterwards, albeit that my old 2010 Bios doesn't even have anything like Legacy Support. 

After a while I had to restart again due to a Windows update and since then I wasn't able to get my PC/Monitor to post again. All I get are the same 1 long and 2 short beeps and nothing else. I also tried the old monitor with dvi, I open the PC took out the video card, made sure that the cable look alright and set it back in but to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or do you happen to know a workaround to at least get back to the old drivers? System restore is going to be pretty hard without a working display. 

As it worked after the first beep incident I'm hoping that there is some kind of solution.

Thank you for your help,

Dennis

Outcomes