automatic fanspeed isnt working anymore after i installed 19.12.2

i have a sapphire r7 250.

anyone experience similar bugs?

0 Likes
9 Replies
travadia
Journeyman III

justsome more details added:

example: i chang ethe speed to 95%, but then decide to switch to "auto peed" and then i click "save changes", it activates auto fan speed (which isnt working) but also sets it to the last change i did, in this case fan speed is changed to 95%. thats how i am 100% sure auto fan speed isnt working anymore.

besides lets say i had manual fan speed active at 30%. then i click the button to activate auto fan speed. but there is no "save changes" appearing, unless i move the control to left or right to change the % number of the fanspeed.

so yeah, now i downgraded again to v 19.9.2 after removing 19.12.2 with DDU. and in 19.9.2 everything works perfectly, not a single problem.

idk if this is only with my gpu (sapphire r7 250 1gb gddr5). but i will keep 19.9.2 until 19.12.2 is fixed. i mean i usually always wait for a stable version and apparently 19.12.2 is stable and major update. so im kinda disappointed that there are still these heavy bugs.

0 Likes

I have the same issue with v20.2.2 - the behavior is exactly as described here - setting the "Fan control" switch to Off position (and thus enabling the Auto mode) has no effect whatsoever. The fan speed remains at whatever was set manually before.

I also noticed that when you keep the Fan control enabled, hit Apply changes, navigate to a different screen and then go back - the Fan control is disabled and it shows "Auto" (but it actually keeps the manually set fan speed..)

I was close to cooking my card today because of this... (I enabled the Metrics overlay just to check on FPS and saw the GPU almost hitting 100°C...)

Also - not sure if that's related specifically to my card or not (I have Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X), but setting anything between 0-25% doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Fans keep spinning at ~1220 RPM when anything within this range is set, and only start to go faster when setting a higher value.

Edit:

I am not sure what exactly happened, but after a couple of days, I noticed that ingame the fan speed started to be automatically controlled again.

I didn't spend much time testing this, but I am suspicious that the Radeon software remembers whether you saved the settings with manual fan control ON or OFF, and that switching back to auto mode requires a reboot to actually take effect. I tried to restart (manually kill and then start) Radeon software but it still kept the manually set fan speed.

This makes me think that a complete reboot of the PC has something to do with this, because the day I posted this I left the manual fan control OFF and the auto fan speed was not working. Only the next day when I powered on the PC and got into a game, I noticed that the auto mode started to work again.

0 Likes
rawintellect
Miniboss

0 Likes

thanks for your comment. unfortunately, i think, thats not my problem. i mean i described my problem. fan is working, but auto fan control isnt working. my fan speed is stuck at the speed which was selected before, even if i turn on auto fan speed.

so if i set it to 0%, and then activate auto fan speed, it will be still 0%. if i set it to 90% and then turn on auto fan speed, it will still be 90%.

no auto fan controlling is working. besides my gpu is a r7 250 and not a rx 5700, and it defenitely has no 'dual bios'. its fan isnt in the bios or anything either, i think.

so.. yup. my problem is still not solved.

0 Likes
tomturican
Journeyman III

I have an MSI Radeon 5500XT 8G Gaming. With version 19.12.2 it seems to work. The fan only switches on at 60 ° C. Since version 19.12.3 and also in the new version 20.1.1 it doesn't work anymore. After each restart of my Win10/64, the fans turns up to 1795rpm and are very annoying. There is no regulation. I have 14 days left, but I think I'll send my graphics card back to Amazon because of that.

------

1h later

------

Omg very disappointing. I now see it myself in the new drivers since 19.12.3. The Zero RPM function has been removed and the lowest adjustable fan power is 35%, which for me is about 1750 rpm. I can't live with that. That means that I am looking for an alternative and will change the graphics card. Too bad, the hardware wasn't that bad. In the future I will no longer do any expiremente like this and stay where I was.

0 Likes

Do you have dual bios? if so just flip the switch from silent to OC like I mentioned here

https://community.amd.com/thread/246169 

0 Likes

wait, with 19.12.3 the auto fan speed is completeley removed now? wth is this lol.

well unfortunately my gpu is alot older and i cant really give it back where i bought it. i had no problems with auto fan speed for years not with amd. well if this is the case now, just removing auto fan speed completely.. maybe it really is time to switch gpu manufactures. or does anyone know an alternative software for AMD fan speed? but then as i heard its not possible anymore to only install drivers, but you need to install the whole amd package now...

this is getting worse somehow.

0 Likes
travadia
Journeyman III

lol finally i can answer here again. a few days ago adding anseerr didnt work, the website was buged i think. but now it seems to work agian.

- that aside, now v 20.1.3 is out and auto fan speed control is stillnot working, at least not for my sapphire r7 250. please fix this finally. since when downloading 20.1.3 it says its the stable and long tested version but looks like it was never really throughly tested.

im using msi afterburner to control auto fan speed, and thats freaking annoying to have so many software open just for one stupid thing.

i wished at least i could choose to ONLY INSTALL DRIVERS of amd instead of the whole stupid client. that way i could still bear it and let only msi afterburner run. but noooo, i cant choose (compared to the past versions of amd) to only install drivers, but i am force dot install the whole package.

0 Likes

I'm using MSI afterburner for my fan curve. it works perfectly.

0 Likes