cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mordrac
Adept I

amd possible cause for the black screen, and stuttering problems some people have

*** PLEASE DONT RESPOND WITH, YES I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS ***

yesterday i tested my rx 5700 xt with the "occt" tool.
when i tested the gpu ram the display response etc started to stutter, in the same way games or benchmarks stutter, making usually stable 60-70 fps fluctuate between 40 and 70. (or even worse)

the stuttering often leads into a black screen.

when i run 3dmark time spy without the "mpt" fix, it stutters right from start and causes a black screen a few seconds later every time.

with the mpt fix it just stutters until its done with a bad performance rating without going black screen.

so i believe the very problem lies within the memory controller or the meory itself with some cards, and that changes in the drivers that enhance performance worsens the effects on the "faulty" cards.

so people with the same problems, i want you to test some things out please.

1) please download the following tools

- occt tool -> OCBASE / OCCT 

- more power tool (mpt) - > MorePowerTool – AMD Radeon RX 5700 (XT) und Radeon VII Tweaking- und Übertaktungssoftware | Download... 

- gpuz -> GPU-Z Graphics Card GPU Information Utility 

2) extract you gpu bios with gpuz

3) create a mpt profile with soc voltage at 1.2v and write down the bios default soc voltage

4) test your gpu with occt tool and see if it does any errors in 3d and memory with and without the mpt fix

and if there is the same stuttering like in games

5) can you reproduce stuttering and crashes in 3dmark time spy or other tools/games?

if you dont know how to do this, please dont as it might harm your hardware.

does anyone know what kind of ram chips are installed on the gpu without removing the cooler? would be nice to know if the problems occure only with one kind of ram.

and please post a summary of you gpu like this:

Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil

Standard Soc max voltage 1.05v

Standard Soc min voltage 0.75v

MPT Soc max voltage 1.15v

MPT Soc min voltage 0.85v

MPT fix solves Black Screen: yes

MPT fix solves Stuttering: no

Driver Version: 19.12.1

edit:

- increasing the minimum soc voltage from 0.75v to 0.85v reduced stuttering.

- increasing it further only increased power consumption, but didnt help with stuttering further.

- stuttering is the result of memory clock droping on load. reducing memory clock from 875 to 800 helped with memory   clock drop.

memclock_drop_stutter.jpg

memclock_drop_stutter_2.jpg

edit2:
dont use the wattman power limit or stuttering will get worse again. leave it at 0.

edit3:

ok it looks i could completly fix black screens and stuttering with mpt. 
here is how:

power and voltage:

- increased max voltage soc from 1.05v to 1.15v

- increased min voltage soc from 0.75v to 0.85v

- increased max voltage gfx from 1.2v to 1.3v

- set power limit gpu 225w

- tdc limit gfx 210w

- tdc limit soc 15w

overdrive limits:

- gfx maximum clock 2100

- power limit min and max 0

memclock_drop_stutter_3.jpg

8 Replies
drproud
Adept II

cant believe no one has reply to this , thanks alot man i did the same as you im using the Red Devil RX 5700 XT i played the witcher 3 for like 2 hours and i dint get any crash or bluescreen plus im using latest drivers 20.1.1 i will keep you updated im going to try now Red Dead 2 see if i get any crashes or not  

drproud
Adept II

138f9ffa0ed3c2a571f507e0587b54b7.pngthis are my results with 3dmark i bit less then yours but its normal sinds im using a 4790k OC 4.6hz and im still using ddr3 memory lol 32Gb but im happy with the results

0 Likes
bruv
Journeyman III

"3) create a mpt profile with soc voltage at 1.2v and write down the bios default soc voltage" 

Are you referring to the maximum SoC voltage?

Once I've made the changes does the "write SPPT" button write the new settings to the card?

I haven't done this before but I'm fairly confident making these type of changes.

Thanks!

Yes, I checked, it works precisely after this button. What would appear in the wattman - reboot the system. To reset to the source - click on the appropriate button

0 Likes
shindze
Adept II

In general, I repeated the sample actions for the gigabyte 5700 xt gaming oc. Later I will check for black screens that my card is sick with.

Thank you for another possible error correction option, I will certainly check.

GIGABYTE 5700 XT GAMING OC
- increased max voltage soc from 1.05v to 1.15v
- increased min voltage soc from 0.75v to 0.85v
- increased max voltage gfx from 1.2v to 1.25v
- set power limit gpu 190w
- tdc limit gfx 194A
- tdc limit soc 15A

- Reduced memory frequency from 875 to 800

Made an undervolt 1899@/1016mV

0 Likes
graymin
Adept II

the MPT is all grayed out so not sure where to go from here Radeon VII

3900x amd cpu

ROG CrossHair VIII Hero

32 gigs ram

I wish they would just fix this

I do have a new 5700xt that AI could put in if needed but I see they have the same problem

0 Likes

ok third day it crashes I guess it did not get fixed they really need to fix it

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

May we ask, can MPT disable the Powerplay feature which downclocks the core in 3D applications?

We have serious issues with lag/stutter as the GPU core downclocks to 300mhz.

Also can MPT raise the DPM0 state from 25mhz to 500mhz?

Thanks again.

0 Likes