cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kunia13
Journeyman III

3950x low single core boost

I'm looking for some help with trying to figure out why my single core boost never passes 4.3ghz in R20. I get just under 500 points with single core. When running all-core test, I'll stay at around 3.95 ghz and I'll end up with just under 9000.

In Ryzen Master, with every background application off my idle temps are around 38c. 

Specs: Asus X570 Hero, latest bios, default preset

32gb 3600 running at 3600

x72 kraken AIO

AMD balanced power setting in windows

I'm not into overclocks or playing with voltages (thou it's idles at 1.4+ volts all the time). I mostly use the pc for work and I need it to be stable. One of my apps is pretty much single threaded so more clock is faster. 

Should I start with my cooler and thermal paste application? The X72 came with the "new" clip on type bracket. NZXT has send me the older am4 bracket with standoffs. Should I try with that and perhaps apply the thermal paste in X patter?

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Likes
9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

kunia13, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply while CB Single running.  I have seen more than enough shots of CB, so none of those.  Before running CB, open Settings and uninstall all junk applications like HWinfo and any Command Center stuff.  Do a Clear CMOS using user manual instructions.  Post a screenshot of the MB tab of CPU-Z showing the BIOS/AGESA versions.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

killed all the background software.

Idle temps are at 31C +/- 1 degree,

Max I've seen the clock hit 4.4 for a split second, otherwise just under 4.4.

Temps look good I guess, but I was expecting a bit more singe core boost.

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

kunia13, thanks much.  You did a great job of killing all the bad stuff, but I too expect a boost much closer to 4700 MHz.  Please check your MB vendor for an AGESA with a patch.  Seems like I have seen Patch B.  Otherwise ask your vendor and open an AMD Online Support ticket.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

For reference

...here's r20 with all cores..

Are all those meters suppose to reline line that ?????

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

kunia13, huh? "Are all those meters suppose to reline line that ?????"  If you mean turning RED, then when PPT, TDC, or EDC turn RED (limited) then throttling is taking place.  You can raise the limit and probably get some more boost - lots of room left in temperature.  Please DL and read the RM Quick Reference Guide (QRG).  Please ask question if needed.  It is a little confusing.  I have not been able to find any information on CPU or SOC Power or what happens when they turn RED.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Yes redline - sorry, typo.

So are those suppose to max out like that when running R20 all core?

That single core boost of 4.4ghz max kinda of bothers me. 

The motherboard is on the latest bios, but I think some settings on it is limiting the CPU.
Again, I don't OC, don't tinker and frankly have no idea what most of the tweak settings in the bios mean.
I just made a switch to a PC - been suing Macs for over 15 years so a lot of this stuff is new. 

0 Likes

tested with AGESA 1.0.0.5 today with same CPU, never seen boost going up over 4350MHz on single core test.

But where is the 4700MHz ? .... I need to call detective Monk

On all cores I have 4027MHz and R20 Multi cores 8994 points and single core 510 points.

Five months looking for the lost MHz between 4350MHz and max boost 4700MHz with no success.

0 Likes

As i can see, i'm not alone with that problem. Try to run some old game which use one core and share you results.

0 Likes

I don't think it's a problem, new CPU have greater IPC and Freqs than old CPU never reach. If I found a mono thread software with great gluttony, I'll review my position.

In the best way, AMD find the lost MHz and send them to us, AGESA 1.0.0.6 ?

Have a nice day.

0 Likes