cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

froschmann
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 3800X idle clock problem

Hi, I have a problem with Ryzen 7 3800X (video attached)

My problem is, that the CPU will go up to 4500 Mhz in idle mode as soon as I switch the energie plan on windows to normal, making it go too hot and loud for idle. I left all settings on standard and have installed all current drivers for the chipset.

Do you have a solution for this problem? Also I'm a novice and don't know anything about the settings at all. I think I would have to return it, if I cant find a solution.

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

froschmann, instead of videos, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Also post your system components including CPU cooler and OS.  Please stop using HWinfo and OC type software, do a Clear CMOS then post the RM shot.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
froschmann
Journeyman III

ryzen.png

Here is the requested picture, I noticed that the clocking is set to 4,500 max by default, it will often go very high in idle already.

Im not confident enough to clear the CMOS. Can you help me decrease the default clocking rate to 3,900 for example? I noticed it is alot more quiet and cool when running at 3,900 only, but I couldnt find a way to make it 3,900 max instead of 4,500 by default. If i set it to an other clocking profile with 3,900 manually it works but is not a good solution for me since it will not be selected anymore when restarting the computer, also in that case other tools than Ryzen Master will show constant 3,900 Mhz somehow if i set that via custom profile.

0 Likes

Sorry I forgot, I have the standart cooler that came with the processor and running on Win 10

0 Likes

Thanks, froschmann.  Your RM shot looks fine.  There are a number of ways to control the frequency.  RM will do and I think with Gen 3 processors it will survive boot.  I recommend you try changing your power plan.  I hope you understand by reducing the frequency, you are reducing the performance of your system.  Open Settings, Win key i - System - Power & Sleep - Additional power settings.  Click 'Change plan settings' - 'Change advanced power settings'.  Near the bottom is 'Processor power management', expand that and 'Maximum processor state', expand that and change the setting to whatever percent to get the frequency you want.  I should point out something obvious that most users do not realize:  Processors do ONLY what they are told.  The OS schedules/dispatches work to the processor and Ryzen goes after as fast as it can.  It is only doing what it is told.  You are someone is running something on your system when you think it is idle causing the frequency to go up.  The MB vendor and others install junk applications (eg, HWinfo) that send work just to see the frequency go up.  Feel free to ask questions.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes