AnsweredAssumed Answered

A quick spark, and then nothing.

Question asked by verscotchi on Dec 19, 2019
Latest reply on Dec 20, 2019 by elstaci

Last night I was playing some games when all of a sudden my PC just shut off. I assumed that I might've tripped some loose power connector when I was moving my feet around (Yes, I know it sounds terrible of how close my feet are to wires), but after repeatedly trying the power button to no avail, I decided to try to reseat the power connector to my power supply. Then, after a seemingly successful 2 seconds, I saw a flash come from the top left of my motherboard, near the CPU power connectors. I immediately unplugged everything and started trying to figure out what just happened.

After tinkering around with it for a day and researching on this topic, I've found out that it was the CPU power connector. Only the actual male end had residue the female connector seemed to be fine.

All my research has pointed me in the direction that my power supply is garbage, but it's an EVGA 850 watt GQ? I'm stuck, the mobo lights up and fans spin when I don't plug in the CPU connector, but when I do, I hear a click and see the CPU cooler light up for a split second and then fade away, with nothing. (I did use a different unused CPU connector whenever I was plugging it in, not the burnt one)

SPECS:

CPU: FX 9590
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 AIO
MOBO: Asrock 990FX Extreme9

RAM: Corsair Dominator 2x8 1866Mhz

GPU: MSI GTX 970

PSU: EVGA 850 GQ

I'm suspecting that something got fried, more than just that CPU connector, I just need to figure out what.

Outcomes