cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

IceGiant Thermosiphon Cooler: Why?

Came across this on TomsHardware the other day. Apparently this company is designing a cooler around thermosiphon technology. It weighs 4lbs, is loud as heck, costs $120, and begs the question: Why not go liquid?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/icegiant-prototype-thermosiphon-cooler

0 Likes
2 Replies

It actually is almost 5 Lbs heavy (Proto Type).

I tend to agree with some of the comments about possibly damaging the motherboard. Seems like it should have some sort of brackets to connect it to the computer case to support the total weight and also the vibrations from the large fans. Plus you would need to purchase all the RAM Memory to be low profile type. That seems to be the type installed on the motherboard so as to not interfere with the installation of the CPU Cooler.

I don't believe this would fit in a Mid-Tower or smaller computer case. Even in a Full tower computer case it might interfere with other installed hardware besides the Ram modules.

This CPU Cooler would be better for motherboards that are in a horizontal position in a computer case so as to not put excessive downward weight on a vertical motherboard.

If you notice that the CPU casing actually goes beyond the motherboard edge. So depending on the Computer overhead clearance would be a factor in determining if this will fit in a Tower computer case.

My motherboard is installed vertically and the top is almost at the edge of the top of my Full Tower computer case. This cooler wouldn't fit because it probably will hit the top of my computer case.

Good idea once they redesign the dimensions.

0 Likes

It also costs too much relative to the Arctic Freezer 50 TR, twice as much for only 8*C more in cooling while generating twice the noise. They said the final version will have a third heat chamber which should increase its power, but unless it drastically increases cooling power and the new fin stack and fans reduces noise quite a bit, I can't see this thing catching on.

0 Likes