cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

henrique1123
Journeyman III

Graphic card turning off by itself

Hello, sometimes my pc goes off by itself accompanied by a robotic sound, it does not turn off completely, the screen goes off and the video card led is flashing, just turning off and on again to return to normal.

Every time this happens, it is by the Kernel-Power 41 error in the event viewer, also at the same time, the Kernel-Processor-Power 35 error.

Each error says:

--Kernel-Power 41: The system was restarted without a proper shutdown first. This error may be caused when the system stops responding, hangs, or runs out of power unexpectedly.

--Kernel-Processor-Power: Performance power management features on processor X in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware issue. Check with your computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

This usually happens once a day, I also have stuttering issues in games, maybe it has to do with it.

* All my drivers are updated, bios also in the latest version.

* I am using Ryzen's power plan, I have already tested it on High Performance and the problem continues.

* I have no problems with temperature.

* I've formatted several times, disabled some windows services, tested some bios options.

* Game mode on / off does not change anything.

* I tested with and without overclocking and it doesn't change anything either.

* I tested with and without sound / internet.

* 100% health SSD / HDD without badblocks.

* I used DDU uninstaller too .

* About stutterings, it happens in all games but is not accompanied by robotic sound.

* Turning the PC off on its own is pretty random, sometimes it happens when I'm playing and when I'm simply tweaking the browser.

* No problem on graphic card (sent it to RMA and said it was not defective), power supply (tested with a multimeter), ram memory (tested on memtest86).

* I have my doubts if it's the faulty motherboard or the processor, or simply some windows configuration that is interfering with it.

Configuration:

Ryzen 5 1600
B450 Aorus Elite
Rx 580 4gb Gigabyte
CX 550w Corsair
16gb DDR4 4X4 Ram
2 SSD / 1 HDD

0 Likes
29 Replies

get a bigger power supply. I use the HX1000i so I do not worry about adequate power at all.

0 Likes

Buddy, I have a Corsair cx550, a great power supply that goes on and on for my computer, making calculations my entire computer doesn't consume 450w with all parts in 100% use, I don't think the power supply is The problem, as I said above, I used a multimeter and all the voltages were correct for each cable.

0 Likes

how is it under load

0 Likes

I don't know, I haven't tested it yet.

0 Likes

In AMD Wattman settings do you have the Power Slider at 50%?  That seems to help in the stability of the RX 580 GPU cards plus putting the GPU Fan curves to be more aggressive in Wattman settings.

0 Likes

raising the power slider will stress the OP's PSU even more

0 Likes

According to AMD Specs the minimum PSU required is a 500 Watt PSU and according to a PSU Website the minimum required is a 550 Watt PSU.

So unless he is maxing out both CPU and GPU at the same time, then most likely he will have power issues pop up.

0 Likes

I  would avoid the minimum as most of the time when added components find their way into a rig, poof

This is why I use 850W or better power supplies. The HX1000i is simply even more conservative.

Never skimp on a PSU, you rig is very dependant on good power.

0 Likes

Yes, it's already max, test normal and minimum, stutterers continue

0 Likes

Try stress testing the GPU and PSU with OCCT software. It is free and stand alone. No need to install.

First try with GPU Test with Errors and see if the GPU crashes. Keep a close eye on Temps and PSU Outputs during the stress test. If it passes then run the PSU Stress test and again keep an eye on CPU and GPU Temps and PSU Output voltages. See if it crashes.

The above is just to test for Overheating and Stability of your hardware. The stuttering is a different issue probably related to the AMD driver or a configuration issue.

0 Likes

Testing for 5 minutes without errors, I just stopped because the video card was almost 90°C, usually in games is between 65-80°C, I want to solve the problem of stutterings, psu seems stable since I did not see mistakes.

You said it could be related to some amd driver or some configuration, I've already tested a lot of amd drivers and I've always had problems, so I don't think it's about the settings, I've changed a lot in windows and bios, never improves or gets worse, always continues with the problem.

0 Likes

Anyways, here are a few AMD Threads, previous and current, about RX580 and stuttering. Maybe one of them can help:

https://community.amd.com/message/2928610?q=rx%20580%20stuttering 

https://community.amd.com/message/2883522?q=rx580%20stuttering 

RX580 microstutters 

RX580 Crashes after stutter sound during games  (You can use OCCT PSU Stress test to check if your PSU is strong enough under heavy CPU & GPU loads).

RX580 Pulse 8GB Minecraft issues 

https://community.amd.com/message/2933871?commentID=2933871#comment-2933871 

19.11.1 driver + RX580 = green death 

https://community.amd.com/message/2934997?commentID=2934997#comment-2934997 

Many more where Users opened threads about the RX580 and Stuttering but with no replies. If you want you can input in the "search box"  "RX580 STUTTERING" then click at the bottom of the search "Search All Results" and you will get a lot more threads to look at.

Make sure you have the latest AMD Driver installed first from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580 

Then you can try some previous AMD Drivers from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/rade... 

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update. Also disable FreeSync if that is enabled and see if stuttering continues.

Browse through the above links and see if any of the solutions offered helps your problem of stuttering. Seems to be fairly common with the RX580 and other GPU cards.

0 Likes

I've looked, tried to solve here but still the same, until today I found no one with a problem similar to mine, I decided to record 2 benchmark videos for you to look and maybe direct me to something. I used the superposition benchmark program, in the first benchmark, monitoring with HWInfo and in the second seeing through the task manager, it is noticed in the two benchmarks that in the part that I take the chair and I am moving very fast on that table, the use of gpu decreases. enough.

1° - Benchmark - YouTube 

2° - Benchmark 2 - YouTube 

0 Likes

90°C is a bit warm so make sure your rig has lots of fans

0 Likes

It has 5 fans but they are very weak and have little CFM.

0 Likes

what size fans are they?

0 Likes

120mm, I bought a thermal paste and fan from the cooler master, I think that changing the thermal paste of cpu and gpu, also putting a better quality fan, will decrease the temperature.

0 Likes

MX-4 is what I use, most put way too much thermal material, need to wipe it with a bank card to smooth it out

0 Likes

I bought Gel Maker Nano, I believe both are on the same level.

0 Likes

henrique1123 wrote:

I bought Gel Maker Nano, I believe both are on the same level.

It seems to be ok, but like I said use a minimal amount. 99% use 10 times too much.

0 Likes
cale1023
Journeyman III

Not really tbh... The amount of power it has would be almost impossible to reach at a consumer level without some serious knowledge and even then, Would be like 10k less. But depends what you need to use it for. 

0 Likes
henrique1123
Journeyman III

Please watch the video above and tell me what could be wrong.

0 Likes

Did your Ryzen Temperature go over 95C while playing?  I noticed in the Video you made, the CPU Temp had climbed to 69C before the video ended.  95C is the Maximum Operating Temperature of your Ryzen. 

Actually I didn't see anything wrong with the videos. Both ran smoothly without artifacts or lagging or freezing etc. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable about that can see something wrong. I am not a gamer.

0 Likes

No, my ryzen never exceeded 70 ° C in games, buddy if you saw the 2 videos, you could clearly see that something was wrong, you had to watch the frametime, looking at the video is hard to notice, but looking at the peaks In frametime you see what happened, that moment that I move the chair quickly, you can see that the fps suddenly drops absurdly and if you look at the use of the gpu, you can see that it drops too. This is not something that happens in the benchmark, but in all games, from the lightest to the heaviest for the graphic card.

0 Likes

henrique1123 wrote:

No, my ryzen never exceeded 70 ° C in games, buddy if you saw the 2 videos, you could clearly see that something was wrong, you had to watch the frametime, looking at the video is hard to notice, but looking at the peaks In frametime you see what happened, that moment that I move the chair quickly, you can see that the fps suddenly drops absurdly and if you look at the use of the gpu, you can see that it drops too. This is not something that happens in the benchmark, but in all games, from the lightest to the heaviest for the graphic card.

if the video card is thermally throttling it will slow down and fps will suffer

0 Likes

This usually happens when my graphic card is above 80°C, but the most that happens is to slow down, the game doesn't stutter with that.

0 Likes

the amd panel can increase the power to the card but you increase the current draw which well above system requirements

0 Likes

I understand, but I'm pretty sure about my power supply, no matter what overclocking I do, there will always be power supply left over.

0 Likes

I realize my Corsair  1000W PSU is overkill but at least it is one item I can ignore without fear of some power pig video card that I push to the wall 

My HX1000i is also 80 plus platinum so its ultra efficient.

Some games are so demanding that the TDP can be 120% of standard. The added power slider is there for that very reason.

0 Likes