AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adrenalin 2020/19.12.2 on Radeon VII: Windows refuses to load driver (Error Code 31)

Question asked by stickysubstance on Dec 12, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 3, 2020 by stickysubstance

FINAL EDIT 1/3/2020:
RADEON SOFTWARE VERSION 19.12.3 (Optional)  RESOLVES THIS ISSUE AND WORKS FINE. Here are the steps I took to get this working:

1. Revert to a working driver version/Adrenalin 2019 using a clean install procedure (Use AMD cleanup util/DDU/that M$ uninstall troubleshooter if needed first). If you are already running Adrenalin 2019, skip.

2. Using your preferred method, install 19.12.3 OPTIONAL. (the updater in Adrenalin worked for me, but a clean install is advised if you want certainty).
DO NOT do 19.12.2 "recommended" as that is STILL BROKE

3. Reboot, profit, and learn from this. Wait for the fix release to reduce edgebleed ; )

(OP remains below for archival purposes)

Hello, I am having difficulty with the new Adrenalin release. GPU is a Radeon VII.

When I install the software package, the driver fails to load after reboot, and I get a "no AMD graphics Driver installed" error dialog from Adrenalin (see attachment). Looking at Device Manager I find an error indicator for the GPU. In the properties menu it shows Error Code 31 (see attached picture).

This occurs whether or not I select the "factory reset" option in the Adrenalin 2020 installer. It also occurs whether or not I use the AMD cleanup utility (in safe mode) first, or even if I use DDU (in safe mode).

The prior version (Adrenalin 2019, driver 19.12.1) still installs and runs. If I DDU and then install the older driver from Windows Update, that also works. Only Adrenalin 2020/19.12.2 is failing.

Troubleshooting steps attempted:
1. AMD Cleanup Utility (latest) in safe mode prior to install attempt
2. DDU (latest) in safe mode prior to install attempt.
3. Running windows repair utilities:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

followed by

sfc /scannow

and attempting reinstall.

4. After step 3, trying steps 1 and 2 again.

Trying to install the 19.12.2 driver manually from C:\AMD results in "already best driver".

Any ideas?

EDITED TO ADD: REVERTED TO LAST WHQL DRIVER BECAUSE NO COMBO OF DDU, AMD CLEANUP, AND MS UNINSTALL TROUBLESHOOTER WORKED. I AM NOT GOING TO DISABLE CORE ISOLATION FOR A BLEEDING-EDGE GPU DRIVER.

I HAVE REVERTED TO ADRENALIN 2019 WHICH WORKS FINE AND MARKED THAT ANSWER AS CORRECT. WILL TRY 2020 AGAIN SOME OTHER TIME. THANKS ALL!

Outcomes