cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

garytzzz
Adept I

Is anyone having Black Screens and stutters with the new Radeon 2020 driver package?

I had to go back to the previous Radeon 2019 Driver package because of regular black screens and stutters.  Anyone else having the problem.  I'm using an Asus 5700XT.

29 Replies
lilo33
Adept II

me too...i rolled backed to previous drivers.

What brand and model are you using?

0 Likes

I have 2 builds one of them have 5700xt and other one have r9-290x... Both of them had same black screen problem and now I know its 2020 driver problem as reverting back to previous driver fixed everything. 

I installed driver safely ..using uninstaller in safe mode . Then Used DDU in safe mode so that there is no conflict.2020 was installed perfectly but some games wont start ( black screen) , stutter and black screen while playing ..what is more you can't use alt+tab for some reason..amd overlay also causes crash.

somuchhard
Adept II

Same here, black screen and crash (RX 5700)

What brand and model are you using?

0 Likes

reference rx5700 by as rock

0 Likes
jamesc359
Forerunner

No crashes or black screens here, but I have had some shimmering/flickering which I believe to be an issue with Freesync.

Yes. Vega 56 and 64 with Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 is intermittently black screening on me.

Thanks for your comment.  I have one PC with Red Devil Vega64 in it.  I was going to update that.  But, I'll wait for now.

0 Likes

Hi,

You may as well try it out if you can as it would be an additional data point and your data may help others. 
Your feedback on the new GUI and UI would be interesting.
I have already given my feedback.
I think it is awful, and a number of required features such as FRTC and Overclocking sliders are missing. 
You may think it is great though.

I was running Adrenalin 19.12.1 previously.
If you do try Adrenalin 2020 (19.2.2) make sure you update windows. Download full Adrenalin 2020 installer (19.12.2) from AMD Driver website. Download and run WagnardSoft DDU in safe mode and then install full 2020 19.12.2 installer whilst disconnected from the internet.

I had problems with the installer. Incremental update from within DDU & fresh install of 19.12.1 failed.
It took me multiple attempts to get Adrenalin 2020 installed after incremental install from Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1.

I am hoping something will be done to return to the Adrenalin 2019 Settings and Radeon Overlay style of Driver interface because I personally do not want to use this Adrenalin 2020 interface.

Thanks.

I'd be careful with the DDU recommendation as it's not always up to date and has been known to cause issues in certain configurations. The new Radeon Software offers a great feature "Factory Reset" and also the internal cleaner actually works now. 

DDU relies on being able to remove hardcoded registry entries and files which can change with newer drivers hence my recommendation not to rely or recommend DDU.

You are also right on updating Windows - it's definitely a must.

As for the OP's question on black screens: I haven't had any yet - I stream on the Twitch (both for AMD and my own channel) and I've been using the drivers for a while without issues. Also with over 72 hours of play and stream time using the Radeon VII, Radeon RX 5700XT AE, and the RX 5500XT.

0 Likes

Thanks, I am sure there may be problems with DDU from time to time. 
I use it because I have had many problems with the AMD installer / uninstaller especially on Windows 10, on different machines. 

Incremental install form older to newer annual release versions of Crimson -> Crimson ReLive -> Adrenalin -> Adrenalin 2019 consistently failed, and I have been reporting that on this forum and to AMD Reporting forms.

The DDU + Clean install of Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 was working fine with no problems.
Running incremental update to Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 failed. 

From there I tried everything I could to remove Adrenalin 2020, including just attemting another clean install and clean install + "Factory Reset".
I also tried microsoft Install / Uninstall troubleshooter. 

I also manually checked registry entires for the video card drivers. 

The only thing that worked for me to recover was to disconnect from the internet, run DDU in safe mode, install Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1  (installed fine), reboot, and then run Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 installer with Clean Install and "Factory Reset". 

I will point to the post detailing this if you want. 

In any case I am glad you are not having any problems.  

I'm not talking about DDU with previous (pre-2020) drivers. The new Factory Reset option and Clean Install options with 2020 are a much safer bet. I've seen too many cases with left over registry and file references on pre-2020 to 2020 upgrades causing these issues.

So in other words: On every test bench in the lab (8 different configurations, including both Intel and AMD), I've NOT used DDU to upgrade from pre-2020 to 2020, and zero of those systems have issues, except perhaps some games needing to update their cache or other run time files. Once those games were updated, it was smooth running.

Displays used on the benches are by Acer, Pixio, Samsung, and Dell; All AMD Freesync monitors, except one of the Dell PCs.

RE: I'm not talking about DDU with previous (pre-2020) drivers.
Yes I understand that, thanks. 

But did you test incremental update from within 2019.12.1 or 

did you download the full installer for 2019.12.2 and run clean install with Factory Reset on that? 

In any case I definitely hit a problem with incremental update on 2019.12.1, and as far as I know there was nothing at all wrong on the 2019.12.1 install or registry information that I could see. 

I only had a single GPU primary installed. 

You are correct, there is a problem with the upgrade (error 186 or so) from 12.1 to 12.2 which was reported (and will be fixed). In my case, I used the Factory Reset option.

0 Likes

This thread is interesting.

https://community.amd.com/thread/246165 

0 Likes

The problems I saw with the incremental install from Adrenalin 2019 19.12.2 are shown in this thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/246238 

0 Likes

some games will not run at current updates. turned off my auto updates cause wargaming cant update enough for the current drivers from amd.

0 Likes

try using a different connection on the gpu that stopped the black screens for me

0 Likes
alexander79
Journeyman III

I'm having the same problem too with my gigabyte 5700xt OC , on Path of Exile for example after a little while it will black screen with the sound still playing in the background, ctrl +shift+win+ b doesn't help either. It does this consistently now whilst before (with the older drivers) it was an occasional amdkmdap stopped responding.

CPU : Ryzen 3600

RAM : 32gb vengeance 3000

Motherboard : Asus b450-F ROG Strix

Graphics : Gigabyte 5700xt OC

PSU : 750w Gigabyte G750H

0 Likes
whisky4
Journeyman III

Hi

I'm facing the same problem too Black-  screen, screen shuttering and mouse pointer lag. Games are running fine for the moment. But some times PUBG crashes. I'm facing a new error now - BSOD. I tried rolling back to 19.12.1, even then I faced the above problems. I tried the "factory reset" (given while install the software), same problems. My PC is hardly a week old. 

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600X

Ram - 16GB

GRAPHICS - GIGABYTE RX 5700 XT

PSU - GIGABYTE 750W

0 Likes

Have you tried the recommended method if you get any issues with AMD drivers???
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 
AMD clean utility!!!

I like to do this when there is a major update as it strips the AMD settings and drivers out then just add fresh ones. It seems to work for me so give it a try!!!

AMD clean utility is what runs when you select "Clean Install" option on the driver anyhow.
Go look under: C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-19.12.2-Dec10\Bin64
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
jamesc359
Forerunner

I've reverted back to 19.11.x. I haven't had any issue with FreeSync since. I really loved the new feature set, so hopefully a patch to 19.12.x will come sooner rather than later.

0 Likes

I am reverting back to Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1. 
I will take a look at it at the end of February 2020 and hopefully it will be redesigned and might work or back to Adrenalin 2019 style GUI by then. 

0 Likes
ghost13
Adept III

No problems here! That Driver is AWESOME!!! It just works!

Thank you AMD thank you very much!

I really like RIS slider and AMD App to play my PC Games on my Phone! Stunning new Tech.!

S@M
squuiid
Adept I

19.12.3 drivers are garbage it would seem. Black screens here also, totally randomly during a game.

Previously had no such issues when using 2019 19.12.1.

Going to roll back. I should have known better given the huge laundry list of bugs in the release notes for 19.12.3

ghost13
Adept III

I have Black Screen problems with some games with the new 2020 Driver and FRTC is missing

S@M
0 Likes